How To Price For Individual Sugar Flowers

Business By hayhay321 Updated 11 May 2015 , 10:52pm by costumeczar

hayhay321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hayhay321 Posted 11 May 2015 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I had someone ask if I could just make a few sugar flowers for them. It sounds like they'll have their own cakes and but want help with the decorations to go on the cake itself. How would you price out something like that? I guess it would just be based on the time it takes to make the flowers. How much do you normal charge per hour for sugar work?

4 replies
camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 11 May 2015 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 5

Interesting question. I'm curious to see what other people think. It wouldn't be worth my time personally if I'm not doing their cake too. 

Rising_Flours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rising_Flours Posted 11 May 2015 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 5

I've done this often before, and actually been considering changing my business to do only this.

I would suggest charging similarly to how people generally charge for cakes. Price the amount of product you need. (Don't forget the little things like floral wire and petal dust, this will have a bigger impact now.) Then calculate roughly how long it will take you to make all the flowers. The more difficult flowers will take you longer, and therefore you can charge more for them. Everyone does it a little differently from this point... multiply by three, add an hourly wage. Whichever works for you so that you're making a profit, and being paid for your time as well as your supplies. If your customer is looking for a per flower price, just divide the total by the number of flowers they've asked for.

Don't forget to add your packaging solutions and delivery time etc to the final cost. 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 May 2015 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 5

How much would you charge to add sugar flowers to a cake you made?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 May 2015 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 5

Charge for the time it takes you plus the materials cost including packing materials, add some for your overhead expenses (if you know the general profit margin that you make per cake you can figure that out), and you're good. But make sure that you're charging a decent amount per hour, don't weenie out and pay yourself $10 an hour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%