Chocolate Ganache 1 Troubleshooting

Decorating By SandraDee73 Updated 8 May 2015 , 6:25pm by cake-o-holic

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 8 May 2015 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

So last night I tried to cover a cake with the Chocolate Ganache 1 recipe (which was AMAZING btw!).

I followed the instructions to stir until smooth. I stirred and stirred and stirred but it still looked like the cream/butter had bits that weren't completely going in.

Is it possible I didn't boil the cream/butter long enough?

I also noticed that it was a little thick. It did pour, but I had to spread it a bit, which led to it not being all one cohesive smooth covering. I had the cake covered with a really tasty peanut butter frosting, which was a bit think to begin with and I did have a bit of a problem get it nice and smooth. It's sort of wavy where I attempted to smooth it out. Maybe I should have tried the upside down method? But I digress...

I took the frosted cake out of the fridge to pour the room temp ganache. Maybe the cake was too cold, therefore making the ganache thicker than I would have liked?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this. I really love the way cakes look with the ganache, but mine was quite disappointing. Luckily it's a cake for my mom's birthday tomorrow, which it will have a peony on the top and I'm hoping to try some sugarveil decorations. 

6 replies
cake-o-holic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-o-holic Posted 8 May 2015 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 7

Putting room temp ganache on a cold cake, will seize the ganache, hence you had to spread it.  I usually bring my cakes to almost room temp before covering with the ganache.  I use the upside down method, it has never failed me.  Although, i use the regular ganache recipe thats out on the internet.  The consistency of my ganache is like peanut butter. I find its easier to work with. But everyone has their own preference.

SandraDee73 Posted 8 May 2015 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 7

Would it be possible to make more ganache and pour it over the cake, this time while the cake was room temperature and the ganache was much warmer? To get rid of the bumps and ridges?

SandraDee73 Posted 8 May 2015 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 7

And thank you so much for responding cake-o-holic!

cake-o-holic Posted 8 May 2015 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 7

poured ganache is too thin to hide the bumps and ridges.  Unless you pour...put the cake back in the fridge, let the ganache cool (5-7min) then pour over again.  Almost like layering.  Although,  I would still recommend you do the upside down method.  Make sure you gansche is like peanut butter consistency.  Or...if you dont want to flip your cake, u can do it right side up..but thicker ganache and a cool cake.  

SandraDee73 Posted 8 May 2015 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you again cake-o-holic. I have never tried the upside down method yet. You can do that with ganache? I thought it was only frosting (I use BC)?

cake-o-holic Posted 8 May 2015 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 7

You're welcome.  Yep.you can with ganache.  If you do a search in google "the upsidown method using ganache" you find lots of tutorials.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%