My Cakes Are Dry?

Decorating By bjhjewels65 Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 12:09am by patton78

bjhjewels65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjhjewels65 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 16

I usally use Betty Crocker but the last one I used Duncan Hines and someone made the comment it was dry....is there a secret that will keep your cake from being dry or a certain mix or ingredient? icon_sad.gif

15 replies
melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 16

Was it overcooked? I haven't had a problem with a certain recipe/cake mix being too dry, just when I overcook them. In that case, you can brush it with a simple syrup and moisten it up. I don't have a recipe but maybe someone else can help more.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 16

I always use DH with a box of pudding and an extra egg and have never had a problems. Some people just prefer different mixes, though.

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 16

Some say adding applesauce instead of oil... but oil works too.... maybe it was baked too long?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 16

Your heat may be to high when you are baking, or maybe your theromostat could be off.....
Personally, I substitute mayonaise for any oil that is called for, and it makes a really nice moist cake.....I get RAVES on my cakes, and no one can figure out why mine are "just a little different"........ try it .... what can you loose except a cake mix ? icon_wink.gif

parismom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 16

I didn't know you could add more ggs and pudding additionally... It doesn't interfere with the dynamic of the mix? You know how they always say there is nothing more precise than a baking recipe and only in 'cooking' can you add or take away... just wondering.

parismom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 16

Mayo? Everytime? What kind? The regular or the tangy stuff?

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 16

That's what I always thought, too, parismom. But it really works, and makes a DELICIOUS cake! There are also a lot of recipes for doctored cake mixes in the recipe section that I just love, especially the cake mix extender.

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 16

I always use canola oil and bake my cakes slower...say on 300 degrees instead of 350....it also prevents the middle from rising as much....

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 16

Yes, try the cake mix extender under the recipe section as well as the enhanced cake mix. I promise your cakes will never turn out dry again! I add sour cream, buttermilk, pure vanilla extract, a box of pudding, butter instead of oil... to name just a few when I want to "doctor" up my cake mixes and make them more moist as well as more like scratch. I do not like to add applesauce though because in my opinion, this results in a "wet" cake.

grama_j Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 16

" Mayo? Everytime? What kind? The regular or the tangy stuff?"

Yup.... every time..... no matter what kind of cake, or cake mix.... just the regular..... I'm old enough for social security, and I got that tip from my Mom, Bless her soul, so it goes back a LONG time..... You can't taste the mayo, it makes it a "little different".....and about a 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract.... You can't really taste that amount of almond either..... but again.... just a "little different"..... LOL

bjhjewels65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjhjewels65 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 16

Do you use the same amount mayo as oil?....I think it's a cup and a third of oil per mixes...I am can't wait to try this.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 16

I use simple syrups on every cake I make. It makes for a moister cake and it enhances the flavor of the filling. I level my cakes and brush the syrup on the cut surface with a pastry brush, just enough to moisten, not soaking. You can flavor the syrup in any flavor that compliments your filling.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
Stir till boiling and sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and add flavoring
It only takes a few drops of extract, so be creful. Allow to cool to room temperature and brush on cakes.

I use lemon, orange, rum, coconut or my most requested which is 1 Tablespoon instant coffe granules added to the sugar and water, boiled and then add 1 Tablespoon Kahlua. Good on a white or chocolate cake filled with Kahlua Bavarian cream filling.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 16

My first guess would be that you overcooked it. Different mixes cook differently. I only use cooking times as guidelines. I check when there's still time to go and depending on where it's at keep checking every so often. I test with a skewer to if it's done. I can have the same exact mix (I doctor mine) in the same pan at the same temperature cook for a different amount of time on a different day. It doesn't vary a whole lot, but could be a 5-10 minute difference.

grama_j Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:03pm
post #15 of 16

" Do you use the same amount mayo as oil?....I think it's a cup and a third of oil per mixes...I am can't wait to try this."

I don't know what mixes you are using, but I just put a white D.H. cake in.... one box, and it calls for 2 TBS. of oil....... I think their chocolate is 1/3 C.......... Yes, just subsitute the exact same amout of Mayo for the oil....

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:09am
post #16 of 16

Hmm, I never have heard of a box mix only calling for 2 TBS of oil. I guess I hardly ever use DH though...less oil, less fat icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%