3 Tiered Smash Cake

Baking By bakergal415 Updated 4 May 2015 , 1:05pm by leah_s

bakergal415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakergal415 Posted 4 May 2015 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 2

I have a friend who has requested I make a smash cake for her son's first birthday party.  She wants it to be three tiers, graduated in size....but obviously a miniature version.  I plan to use various pyrex glass round dishes to accomplish this.  But I have a couple concerns.

Do I need a dowel for such a small cake?  I saw someone mention the need for a dowel in a layered cake but I have no idea how to do that.  I'm hoping it's not necessary for such a small cake (especially because of the whole smashing aspect - don't want the child to start chewing on the wooden stick).

What about transportation?  She'll have about a 30 minute drive to the party after she picks it up from me.  Any tips or things I could buy to give her to take it in that would be disposable?  

1 reply
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 2

you will likely want to bake a SMALL sheet cake and use rings/cookie cutters to cut out tiny rounds.  I'm envisioning something like  2/4/6 rounds.  You don't need support for that..  And a smash cake should not be any bigger than that..

Actually a tiered smash cake is ridiculous to start with.  And please, no fondant.  It can create a choking hazard.  Oh, and freeze the rounds before you try to ice them, since cut edges will be exposed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%