Any Ideas How To Attach A Glass Champagne Saucer To The Top Tier Of A Cake Please?

Decorating By Shelleyskitchen Updated 4 May 2015 , 3:20pm by Shelleyskitchen

Shelleyskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelleyskitchen Posted 3 May 2015 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I'm new to this site and I've just recently started a home based cake business, and there's SO much I still need to learn!  Can anyone give me some advice about how to attach a champagne saucer glass to the top of a 3 tier cake please?  I've seen a few pictures on google images of other people's so I know it can be done. I'm just worried that it'll be too unstable.  I thought of putting a dowel, or 3, under it to stop it sinking in, but would sugar glue be strong enough on the rim of the stem to stop it toppling over??  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, because I can't find any previous posts on this. Thanks!

6 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 May 2015 , 2:36am
post #2 of 7

Just to understand, you want to stand a champagne glass on top of a 3 tier cake?

I would place a cake board on the top tier, supported with dowels/ straws just like I was going to stack a 4th tier, and conceal it under the butter cream or fondant. I would then add the glass (at the last minute.).

Shelleyskitchen Posted 4 May 2015 , 10:57am
post #3 of 7

Hi, yes, that's what I want to do. Thanks, thacould work - puttting a cake board on top before icing. I'd need to tell the customer (a friend) the board was there of course. Still doesn't really address the issue of the glass toppling over though... I don't want it just balanced on top. The party is in a narrow bar, so there's a possibility it'll get knocked.

Shelleyskitchen Posted 4 May 2015 , 11:04am
post #4 of 7

Oh and I'll be using sugarpaste (US 'fondant'), not buttercream, FYI :-)

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 4 May 2015 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 7

Melted chocolate??

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 May 2015 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 7

Then I would "glue" it down with royal icing to the fondant OR you could actually take hot glue sticks and hot glue a dowel to the bottom of the glass ahead of time, dry and actually spear it into the cake, through the cake boards, etc. It would not go anywhere then. 

Hot glue should be removable, with care, after the event from the glass. 

Shelleyskitchen Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Jeannem, I don't really want a chocolate flavour in there though.

Johnson6ofus - genius! I didn't think of glueing the dowel to the glass! Thank you!!! Job done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%