Need Help With A Wedding Cake

Baking By amybaez86 Updated 29 Apr 2015 , 10:37pm by bubs1stbirthday

amybaez86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybaez86 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 14

Hello all,

A co-worker of mine wants me to make her wedding cake, 3 tiered for 125 guest. The first and third tier are round and the second/middle tier is a hexagon shape.

My worries and concerns are, what size pans would I use? Do the bride and groom take home the top tier? If not, would the 3 tiers be enough for everyone?

Can anyone help? 

I would greatly appreciate it.

Amy 

13 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 14

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

Do the bride and groom WANT to keep the top layer? Frozen year old cake is kinda yucky. Ask them.

If they keep the top, 8" rd= 24 servings+12" hex=40 servings +16" round =100 servings. 140 servings for guests and charge for 166 from them to keep top. (of course, sizes may not work for your design.--- you have 4" "ledges")

6" rd (12) +9" hex (26) +12" rd (56)= 84 + kitchen cake 9x13 (50)= 134 (you have 3" "ledges" which looks better than the 4

amybaez86 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 14

I'm so sorry, I am not quite understanding what do you mean by "kitchen cake" ?

So you suggest 3 layers per each tier? Are you also suggesting 4 tiers instead of 3?

johnson6ofus Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 14

A standard wedding cake is usually 4 layers, to be 4" high when served. Your design is 3 tiers- round bottom, hexagon middle and round top. Each for those cakes would be 4" high, with 4 layers.

A kitchen cake refers to an extra cake, iced but not decorated that is served from the kitchen (where the main cake goes after the bride and groom "cutting" ceremony) to be sliced up and served to guests. Since the kitchen cake is made the same way as the main cake, no one knows that they are getting something other than the round or hex cake displayed. It is a way to add servings without changing your design. It allows you to focus on making a main display cake that looks the best as far as design and proportions without too much worry about number of servings (within reason). 

amybaez86 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 14

Ohhh, you mean like a sheet cake? Ahh I feel so silly.

I completely understand you now.

So each layer needs to be 1'' to make the height of each tier 4''. Couldn't I just do 2 layers 2'' high?

johnson6ofus Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 14

Yes.. sheet cake.... but layered.  Some bakers charge less because they are rarely decorated beyond basic icing. ;) 

Yes, you can do what you want. But most people expect "the look" of a wedding cake with 4 layers. The "trick" is that guests never feel that they got something "less". Obviously 2 versus 4 layers look different on a plate. 

As long as you focus on your design, and "fill in" extra servings with the kitchen cakes, you will be fine. 

amybaez86 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 14

Yes makes a lot of sense. I guess its a visual thing too.

Another silly question, should the cake be cut a certain way to get 125 servings? 

johnson6ofus Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 14

Visual is VERY important for the wedding, so be sure you are happy with that #1. 

YES regarding cutting chart. No "amateur" will ever get it right without instructions. 

This one is easiest from CC member indydebi:    especially for the round cakes

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-cut-wedding-cake.html

"Normal" cutting chart is:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

You will NOT get huge wedges like some people may expect. a cake serving is 8 cubic inches- 4 inches high, 2 inches wide, 1 inch deep.  Some people make fake cake pieces out of foam or wood to better visualize what that served piece actually looks like. 

amybaez86 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 14

You are so AWESOME!!! :-)

What do you recommend using to support the cake? Any specific material for dowels? Also, what type of cake board should I use? A regular cardboard one? Not sure on this.  

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 14

Have you ever done a three tiered cake before? I wish you the best of luck. There are a whole lot of you tube videos that can also help you about wedding cake tutorials. I think it is a great idea to do a kitchen cake on the side like someone else suggested. Be sure and post a picture!! I have never tried a wedding cake as I only do birthday cakes as a hobby!! 

johnson6ofus Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 14

You are welcome, but if you have never stacked cakes, do you really want a wedding cake to be your first? Youtube is definitely your friend on it. But be sure to watch 3-6 different videos so you see different techniques. 

You can also do floating tiers and avoid stacking altogether.   http://www.webstaurantstore.com/wilton-307-710-floating-tiers-cake-display-stand-9-pieces-set/143307710.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgoKqBRDt_IfLr8y1iMUBEiQA8Ua7Xb1q1FQB3tVWOQQzmLKZtSGyi7VYdzC0PRHGZgUpqCoaAo9b8P8HAQ

Google "floating cake stand" and you will get a bunch of choices. 

amybaez86 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 7:53pm
post #12 of 14

I've stacked one before, but it was only 2 tier and I used the cardboard cake boards and wooden dowels.

I was just wondering if you had any other suggestions.

I will definitely look at youtube.  

johnson6ofus Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 14

Then you have the basics.  It is also a question of how far it will be transported and what temperature it will be displayed and stored at.  Two or three tiers will assemble the same way.

Good luck!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 14

Just adding in my two cents worth - if you make a 4 layer cake with 1 inch layers you are going to end up with a really tall cake once you also add to that three layers of icing between layers plus the outside icing/fondant. You will be wanting to either cut your layers shorter than an inch, I cut mine at 2cm if I am doing 4 layers or 2.75cm - 3cm if I am doing three layers, both of those sizes give you a cake that will come to at least 4 inches when done but not end up too tall either. I also cut the layer that will be on the bottom SLIGHTLY taller (by just 5mm or so) than the other layers in case there is any compression of the bottom layer.

I think you need to do a bit more of your own research though, the answers for the questions that you asked are all over the internet. I use the wilton website to calculate cake servings (I use the wedding sizing and still find that they are huge and I only bake for my family). You will gain so much from doing your own research and practicing rather than just asking people to give you the answers as there are so many different ways of doing things and you need to find the ones that suit you.

Good Luck and all the best

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%