Baby Climbing In Present Cake

Decorating By amhah Updated 30 Apr 2015 , 1:12pm by -K8memphis

amhah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amhah Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 1:55am
post #1 of 12

i have looked all over for a picture/pictures on the internet and have found nothing, my friend emailed a picture of this cake a family member wants for this weekend. basically its your standard present cake, but on the side has what looks like a baby peeking into it and getting caught in it. it only shows the diaper and legs. my #1 concern is this shower they want it for is an hour away. #2 is they want to be able to pick it up from me here in town and then take it themselves to this location an hour away. i have no idea how i'm gonna make this thing stable enough to where it doesn't fall apart on them during the drive. i'm assuming (and of course feel free to throw down suggestions on how it would be better) that the babies legs would be made out of rice krispie treats covered with fondant, probably same for the butt. but how would i make sure that would be stable enough for travel? any and all comments, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated! 

11 replies
Sissysweets03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sissysweets03 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 2:34am
post #2 of 12

I just posted about the same cake! I also got an order for this cake for May. My concern is how to get the baby butt to stick to the box well enough for transport. My customer wants it all cake so I am not sure how to go about this. If you find anything out please let me know! Thanks you!!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 9:57am
post #3 of 12

That photo must be going around, just had someone send it to me too.  Luckily I don't have to make it my friend thought I would like to see it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:44am
post #4 of 12

fondant +cornstarch will easily get that done for you -- let it crisp up -- apply it with piping gel or melted chocolate

let's hope the baby in the box replaces the baby bump -- lol

-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:44am
post #5 of 12

fondant +cornstarch will easily get that done for you -- let it crisp up -- apply it with piping gel or melted chocolate

let's hope the baby in the box replaces the baby bump -- lol

amhah Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 12

thank you k8memphis! i don't really understand what you mean about fond ant+cornstarch, i haven't been around long enough to know much :) i'm just worried after its attached-will it hold up for a journey or will it fall apart

-K8memphis Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 12

knead some cornstarch into your fondant in order for it to dry nice & crispy and hold up and not wimp out on you -- i'd say maybe a half cup of cs to a big handful of fondant -- or more -- it helps it dry -- you could also use modeling chocolates for the little leggies -- that's gotta be the adorablest cake ever

amhah Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 2:04am
post #8 of 12

oh wow that's awesome, i didn't know that! thanks for the tip :) do we even have modeling chocolate here in the US? i don't know that i've ever seen it where do you buy it?

CakeWhipped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhipped Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 2:29am
post #9 of 12

I did a cake like this and I was so worried the same way!! It was transported for 20mins so not as long but it made it and through the entire baby shower (2hrs). I used rice keys pie treats for the baby but and fondant/Gum paste mixture for the legs( hardened over night before applied) I also inserted cake pop sticks inside the legs which stuck into the baby but and also stuck in the silver drum base. I used melting chocolate to stick the baby but to side of cake and added anothe stick into the cake from the rice kryspies for extra hold. Hope it helps!! Good luck :) I'll post a pic :)  

CakeWhipped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhipped Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 2:36am
post #10 of 12
amhah Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 11:30am
post #11 of 12

how awesome! thank you so much, that definitely is very helpful!! 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 1:12pm
post #12 of 12

amhah, modelling chocolate is also called candy clay -- recipes abound -- it's 14-16 oz. chocolate melted + 1/3 cup corn syrup combined -- becomes a great modelling medium -- can be mixed with fondant -- read up on it -- this is the cliff notes version

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%