Friday Night Cake Club For 4/24/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 27 Apr 2015 , 11:09pm by Pastrybaglady

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 2:33am
post #1 of 29

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share photos of their work, stories of their week, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

28 replies
catlharper Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 2:40am
post #2 of 29

Hi everyone!

My week surely didn't go the way I thought it would. I started out by working on my son's cake pieces. His party theme is Call of Duty so I'm supposed to make cupcakes as well as a small grenade cake. So I made the solid fondant pieces on Monday, painted them on Tuesday. Baked the mini cakes for it on Wednesday and painted another coat of silver on the pieces. Then we got the news...rain on Saturday. LOTS of rain. This hasn't been a consideration in California for several months. In fact, it's been a very hot Spring with many days in the 80's so planning an outdoor party with water balloon fights and super soakers sounded like a great idea. Nope. Rain. So the cakes when into the freezer, wrapped up well, and the party had to be rescheduled for two weeks from now. SIGH.  So my cake is on hold, party is on hold. The upside is that we REALLY need the water. So while pain in the butt, it's for a good cause.  Hope everyone else's turned out better!

Cat

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 3:05am
post #3 of 29

Sorry the rain has the party postponed. Can't wait to see the cake. 

I am working on a Hawaiin themed wedding cake. My sister got married in Hawaii last month and we are celebrating this weekend. It will be outside rain or shine. There is a 40% until 7 here in Houston.

Will post a picture tomorrow.

Marian

catlharper Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 3:09am
post #4 of 29

@Marian64 I know Texas needs rain too but I hope it either comes in early or delays till late.  Can't wait to see your cake!

Cat

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 5:27am
post #5 of 29

Hey everyone! Lol, reading your post and looking outside...we've got rain too...lots and lots of rain as we just entered the rainy season! But it will last for about two months (nonstop) and the rest of the year is dry - bone dry. Very predictable! Just finished three cakes and now enjoying the weather with a hot cup of coffee and the sound of my generator...as we have no power since three days...Guess that is the downside;)

catlharper Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 5:34am
post #6 of 29

@julia1812 In California we are in a severe drought. Any rain is good rain. We are currently listening to the rain outside too...sounds wonderful....even if it does mess up our plans. Tomorrow if/when my son's baseball game is called off (they won't play on a soggy field, kids could get hurt and it ruins the fields) we'll just hang out here and enjoy the weather.

Cat

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 6:14am
post #7 of 29

Good evening all, Sitting here waiting on my cake to set up and wondering how all else are doing.  It gave me a chuckle to read all the rain stories.

Cat, I'm so sorry your party is postponed but I agree we need it badly,

Marian, can't wait to see how beautiful your cake will be.

Julia, sometimes I wish we had seasons but then it wouldn't be Southern California.

Cat we're in the same boat, I am making a 2 tiered cake for my friends daughter.  Nothing over the top.  blue and black colors with polka dots and stripes.  I made a blue/black striped bow to be placed offset at the top.  Wanting to make a topper of the young girls age "12" and a plaque with her name on the front of the bottom tier.  

The party was to be held in the rec center with access to the pool.  it's normally warm enough for everyone to go swimming, but guess which guest wants to be a party pooper?  You guessed it.... Mr Rain!!!

Oh well, smh... Like you said.  Its for a good cause.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 9:39am
post #8 of 29

Let it RAIN!  I had 4 birthday projects for Saturday - don't know which are indoors or outdoors, but there's cake!

Heart Cake Sliders

Chocolate cake sliders (whoopie pies) for a little girl's birthday.

Mixed theme cake

STELLA!!!  This was a weird mix of themes requested by the client.

Squash cake

A birthday cake for a squash enthusiast.

Jade Birthday cake

This was a jade inspired cake for a woman who loves green.

My right arm is completely dead.  Any advice?

catlharper Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 29

Well, it did, indeed, rain like mad last night. The ground is nice and soaked. We woke up to partly cloudy skies, cold weather and a cancelled ball game. I figured the field would be too soaked to play on. So my instinct to cancel the party was a good one. By Mother's Day weekend it should be warm enough to not worry about rain.

@auntginn I hope the rec center has a heated pool! It won't get much above 60 here in NorCal today. At least we are not due any more active rain today so as long as the pool is heated the kids might be ok for your party.

@Pastrybaglady Advice? I'd say you deserve a massage after so much work in one week! Stella's cake is simply fabulous and what a cute idea to have whoopie pies for a birthday! Are they cupcake size or cake sized?

Cat

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 29

Cat, the whoopies are cupcake sized.  The mom bagged them to hand out as favors.  The hardest part of this week's work was that the in laws are staying here and would literally stand over my shoulder and watch.  It was a little weird especially when I was making Stella' s cake.  I was working with an exact knife and cutting those tiny hands required so much concentration.  Glad that's over!

catlharper Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 29

Oh my goodness @Pastrybaglady !! My hubby does that "stand over your shoulder" thing and I finally just have to be rude and tell him to go away. Drives me totally nuts! The whoopie pie favors are SUCH a cute idea!  Hopefully you will have time to relax now...and I still say you have earned a massage!

Cat

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 29

PastryBagLady, everything is so cute!  Well done on all of them.  My grand daughter would love... the green cake, that's her favorite color as well.

Cat, I don't know if the pool is heated but its out doors anyway and I already heard from my friend that their will not be any swimming today.

Will post my cake later tonight or tomorrow.

catlharper Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 29

Awww...no swimming at a Pool Party...how heartbreaking. Hope it's a fun time anyways. Can't wait to see the cake @auntginn

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 29

Hello everyone!

@Pastrybaglady those cakes are amazing, I love the green cake, its my favourite colour!

Here is my cake and cake pops for this week:

Flower cake pops:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3338190/flower-cake-pops

Vikings/Blue Jays birthday cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3338194/vikingsblue-jays-birthday-cake

Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 29

@SweetShop5 - your work is perfection as always!  Did you hand cut the lettering for Vikings?  How do you do it without getting dragging from the fondant?

catlharper Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 29

@SweetShop5 I don't even like cake pops but those are adorable! And the sports cake is fun! I imagine you have a cutting machine or use cutters for the letters...they are perfection!

SweetShop5 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 6:46pm
post #17 of 29

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 1 hour ago

@SweetShop5 - your work is perfection as always!  Did you hand cut the lettering for Vikings?  How do you do it without getting dragging from the fondant?

Thank you so much, that means a lot! Yeah, I hand cut the letters and the logos. What I do is roll out the fondant and use my xacto to cut it right away, this way the fondant is still soft so you can kind of shape it to remove the "dragging effect" it makes. I also make sure to not cut the entire shape in one shot, I lift my xacto often if you know what I mean. I hope this makes sense and it helps :) i'm not the best at explaining procesures haha 

SweetShop5 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 6:49pm
post #18 of 29

Darn you can't edit posts, but I meant *procedures

Quote by @catlharper on 7 minutes ago

@SweetShop5 I don't even like cake pops but those are adorable! And the sports cake is fun! I imagine you have a cutting machine or use cutters for the letters...they are perfection!

Thanks Cat! But we didn't use a machine or cutters, everything was hand cut using stencils we printed!

Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 8:10pm
post #19 of 29

Oh, okay.  So you do get some dragging and you just reshape a bit.  That's basically what I do.  I thought maybe you had a secret!  Thanks!

Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 2:35am
post #20 of 29

My customer got the cake home and was very intent on taking pictures of the Lily cake.  She pushed the cake to a better position on the table and as she's looking through her lens she hears a "plop".  She had unknowingly pushed the other cake, still in the box, onto the floor!  Oh well, at least it wasn't my fault.

Dropped cake

catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 4:59am
post #21 of 29

OMG! @Pastrybaglady !!! I feel for you and the lady! I, literally, sucked in my breath with I read your post!  

Cat

Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 5:05am
post #22 of 29

Ha ha, when she sent me the picture she said it brought a whole new meaning to a "squash cake"!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 5:19am
post #23 of 29

At least she hasn't lost her humor! I'm dreading the day I will drop a cake!!!

SweetShop5 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 10:44am
post #24 of 29

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 14 hours ago

Oh, okay.  So you do get some dragging and you just reshape a bit.  That's basically what I do.  I thought maybe you had a secret!  Thanks!

Nope, no secret!

But, omg at the cake! I can only imagine how bad the lady felt. 

catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 2:13pm
post #25 of 29

Bwhahahahaha @Pastrybaglady !!! Yes, she hasn't lost her sense of humor at all! LOL!

Cat

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 5:20pm
post #26 of 29

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 14 hours ago

My customer got the cake home and was very intent on taking pictures of the Lily cake.  She pushed the cake to a better position on the table and as she's looking through her lens she hears a "plop".  She had unknowingly pushed the other cake, still in the box, onto the floor!  Oh well, at least it wasn't my fault.

Dropped cake

It still looks ok. I was at the party once, where one of the guests dropped birthday cake up side down on the floor and birthday girls mom had to scrape off all the decorations and icing off the top. We still ate the cake.

Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 5:47pm
post #27 of 29

Natka, yes, I'm pretty amazed it's still whole.  It must have fallen right side up.  Sam still liked the way it looked!

kkilhoffer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkilhoffer Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 11:05pm
post #28 of 29

How do you post photos?

Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 11:09pm
post #29 of 29

Add your photo to the gallery.  Once it appears on your profile you can copy and then paste into a reply box.  I find I cannot do it from a mobile device only my laptop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%