So Many Questions I Can't Even Think Of A Title Name...

Business By cakeemewithyou Updated 9 Apr 2015 , 3:22am by Magic Mouthfuls

cakeemewithyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeemewithyou Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 9

I am setting up a booth at a local craft fair. There is "expected" to be 2000+ people there but no one really knows exactly how many because the location is significantly better than last years.

How many cupcakes do I bring? I CANNOT leave the craft fair, or pack up until it's officially over. Local suggestions were to make as much as I could consider a profit, then leave when I sell out, but that is not an option. I will also mention that I will be the ONLY one selling any type of cake product. I just don't know!

How much do I charge for a single cupcake? I know it all depends on how much I put INTO the cupcake, but this is a bit different since I will be selling singles, doubles, and quads of cupcakes in different flavors.

ALSO, I need to print more double sided business cards. I was unhappy with a local print shop I used, I'd really like to take my cards up a level. If I were looking for quality online printing, who would you recommend?

I am so sorry for the abundant amount of questions! Any help is appreciated. I will leave this here, and research online for more answers.

Thanks!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 9

vistaprint offers everything -- i've done beaucoups of business with them for cards & lots of stuff -- i like to use the folded business cards -- i design my own -- it's like a mini brochure

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 9

about your quantities i don't know -- but one idea i have is -- don't announce this in advance but at some point reduce the prices drastically to try & move the last of your quantity if need be

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 9

I have also used VistaPrint for years.  Love them!

Its been my experience and the experience of others I know who do large events selling desserts that about 10 of the people buy dessert.  It's getting to be a hard sell.  

MY cupcake price - considering MY costs to produce them is $3 a cupcake.  You want 2?  $6.  You want 4?  $12  You want a dozen?  $36

You can sell out, but not leave the show.  Hand out info cards (not coupons) on how to order, what are obviously delicious treats.  "I soooo wish you'd come by sooner!"

leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 9

that should have been 10% of people buy.  Where's the EDIT function?

cakeemewithyou Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 9

This is a wonderful suggestion! I could see myself probably bringing too much rather than not enough, so that is probably what I will do. If nothing else, maybe I will distribute to the other vendors for free after everyone leaves. This will be an extremely new experience for me, but super cool nonetheless! :)

cakeemewithyou Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 9

I also feel like it WILL be a hard sell mainly because who wants to eat a cupcake while they are shopping?! It's sticky, messy, and not to mention, I live in Florida and who knows how hot it will be. I am still hopeful! I will bring cake pops, and those push pops too. Maybe those will sell better. I have a while to research this stuff, but I am a planner! :)

leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 9

package the cupcakes individually in 9 oz. lidded cup.  Turn the cup upside down.  

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 3:22am
post #9 of 9

I did a cupcake stall and a soft drink stall (2 separate stalls) at a 3 day equestrian event - it was financially extremely unrewarding!!  It was very hot (33C) There was 3000 people.  They had money - I had so many $100 notes handed over on day 1.  But they didnt spend on either of my stalls.  The 2 winners were a Slushie vendor (average price $8) and the BBQ vendor.

My best sales day out of 3 was:

50 cake pops $2.50

6 cookies $2.50

102 cupcakes $4 for regular, $4.50 for gourmet flavours (ie white choc & champagne)

11 horse shaped chocolate lollypops $4

5 bags of mixed lollies/candy

I had some cupcakes pre-packaged to go in a poly bag (cost 2c each).  The 'eat now' ones were served on a plastic plate with a spoon.  

I discounted last 2 hours and had to offload heaps in boxes of 12 to other vendors during the pack up, but I still came home with heaps of product.

Business Cards - I agree with K8Memphis - Vistaprint is great, so is Zazzle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%