Creating A Vase Topper With Sugar Flowers

Sugar Work By rooneygirl Updated 7 Apr 2015 , 5:58am by rooneygirl

rooneygirl Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I have a large 5 tier cake coming up with two sugar flower separators. As if that wasn't hard enough already, the client wants a vase/pedestal topper with more sugar flowers. I have seen a lot of cake artists use real pedestals/vases for the top and all say its easy enough to just dowel the cake it will be sitting on for support. I am still scared to death it will just topple over so I would like to construct it with Styrofoam so I can stick a dowel directly into it and stab it into the cake to stay put.  Does anyone have any experience with how to create a styrofoam vase/pedestal or can someone put me at ease with using a real vase/pedestal on top?  thanks so much!  

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 4

you can buy a foam cutter either at hobby lobby/michael's or at 

hot wire foam factory has a lot of information on how to do it too --

i've just sculpted foam with a kitchen knife but it's easier with a hot wire knife

you can buy them at dallas foam or check out their separators too 

they also make anything you want 

if the table the cake is on is stable the cake will be stable with a vase on top of it -- you could set a real vase on a dummy cake too --

plus margaret braun gives great instructions in her book Cake Walk on how to make chalises which is a hop skip and a jump to a vase -- i'm thinking that colette has a vase pattern but not positive...i could check if you want me to--

-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 4

yeah colette's got at least two in "colette's wedding cakes" on e is solid with strawberries in it and the other is a lattice piped vase then i found another on page 33 her oriental apple blossom cake -- this one she makes out of sugarmolds -- i can pm you some instructions if you want --

rooneygirl Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 5:58am
post #4 of 4

thank you so much! You are so helpful. I would love if you can PM the instructions to me.  Thanks so much! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%