Scratch Baking Retail Cake/ Cupcake Shoppe.. Need Help With Production Plan!!

Business By PeachAngel1 Updated 6 Apr 2015 , 11:06pm by malou1021

PeachAngel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeachAngel1 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 12:16am
post #1 of 8

I am a scratch baking cake business and I am trying to figure out a good daily production plan to be able to met the daily demand of my shoppe. I have tryed

• baking in big batches and freezing for the week
  • baking everyday
  • baking enough for several days
  • baking certain flavors on certain days

I want to keep up..Im just trying to figure out am I missing something.

I do cupcakes (12 flavors daily) that we alternate.. cake pops, cake in a jar, Custom cakes and wedding cakes, we make funnel cakes and gormet cookies. 

Please help if you have any ideas...how to most bakeries do it!

7 replies
reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 1:40am
post #2 of 8

Are you running out of product or have too much leftover that don't sell?

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 10:08am
post #3 of 8

There is a little bakery just north of where I live and they only seem to sell cupcakes... My friend talks about it, I haven't been there (been just too busy to stop in and try them)... But apparently they only make so much each day and when they sell out, they close up... apparently they close some Saturdays at noon and others at two... all depends on how fast the flavors of the day sell out (I guess she posts them daily on her website)...

If that is the scenario you are looking for, I would keep track of which flavors sell best and how many of each you are selling... Then you will have an idea of what to sell on which days and/or how many to make...

Also, maybe par down the number of flavors... the more choices you give, the more indecisive a customer can be and then potentially not choose any at all...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 8

just an idea for you that you may already do is pre-measure your ingredients -- cracking eggs you'd want to wait to do that a la minute but i'd spend some time pre packaging ingredient amounts -- during down time -- make up bags of flour/sugar/baking powder/etc. to match your recipes -- if you often use 2# of flour or sugar per recipe bag that up -- whatever will save you moments later during crucial times -- or do this the night before baking because it is wonderful to just grab and go -- you can store each ingredient right in the same bag it came in the flour bag for example or whatever -- 

or put all the dry ingredients for one recipe in one bag and mark the bags -- put the sugar/butter for that recipe in another bag -- however you mix them up --

i like to use the julian date when i do this -- for example today april 6, 2015 is the 96th day of the year -- so if you put up any ingredients that you will be using at a later date you need to write the ingredient name and the date on there -- 

so you could print out this perpetual calender and just write 96 on there for today's date --

(some places you also need to write the last use by date on there too -- but if you're not making fish cupcakes you're probably ok there :)

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/DODprogram/juliandate.htm

mise en place -- it really adds a layer of convenience and orderliness -- it makes baking more fun/easier

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 8

Oh my goodness, k8memphis! That is a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of doing that before?! I've worked in a restaurant where they made most things from scratch and they would prep like that . I hate the baking process but I really like my cakes to be from scratch. I am so implementing this idea to make things easier since I also have two very young boys at home. Thank you so much! 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 8

i'm glad that helps --  you can prep your cupcake pans early too and stack them cross wise of each other or for a tier cake stack the larger pans on top of the smaller ones -- when i pre-measure right before baking i like to use coffee filters which come in all sorts of sizes but i'm not in a shop right now either -- so a couple random other thoughts for you

best baking and cupcaking --

-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 8

Quote by @malou1021 on 10 minutes ago

... Why didn't I think of doing that before?! 

this is why

Quote by @malou1021 on 10 minutes ago

... I also have two very young boys at home. 

hahahaha

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, you're right again. Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%