Help - Ganache Turned Grainy

Decorating By cake_starter Updated 2 Apr 2015 , 11:13pm by rooneygirl

cake_starter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_starter Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everybody,

Please tell me what I did wrong.

I made ganache yesterday with 2:1 ratio (chocolate : cream) weight wise.  After I made it, it was perfect smooth and good texture. I covered with plastic wrap touching the ganache and closed the lid (made in glass container) and let it sit overnight on the counter.

Today evening, when I wanted to use it, I opened the cover and I see my ganache fully grainy texture. I mixed it and nothing changed, I kept in microwave for 10 sec and then mixed, it was back to normal shiny and smooth texture. Is this normal? I have done ganache only twice so far and never saw this issue.

I want to frost the cake with ganache and cover with fondant, will this grainy texture come back and cause issue for fondant.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance !!

5 replies
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 6

Can you send a picture? Ganache will firm up when cooled but should not be grainy.

It happened to me a couple of times and it was always because I was using inexpensive or old chocolate. 

CTD1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTD1 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 6

When you say grainy, do you mean little specs of solid chocolate?  If so, your chocolate wasn't fully melted the first time and the way to fix it is to slowly remelt it -much like starting over.   When it's fully set up at room temp, it'll have the consistency of peanut butter.  If you want to see how it will set on your cake, spread a bit on a plate and see how it dries.    

I also agree with MKC, that it could be the type of chocolate you were using.  

Good luck.  I hope reheating it solved your problem.

cake_starter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_starter Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for replying. When I actually made the ganache, it was very smooth with no chocolate chunks or pieces. I don't know what happened next day:) It did go away when I reheated for about 7-8 secs. I frosted the cake and will be putting the fondant today. Crossing my fingers and hoping that it will not cause any issues.

I actually used a different brand chocolate this time. Last two times I used Ghirardelli baking chips. This time I bought from Costco, Kirkland brand, not sure if that is the issue.

Thanks again !! 

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 6

I bought the Costco brand before and I found it didn't react well to heat (it was becoming crumbly). I switched back to the brand I used before.

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 6

I use Callebaut chocolate and ran into a grainy problem a couple of times with the dark chocolate. It was smooth as glass when I made it and then got grainy when I tried to stir it at room temp. I think this also happens when you overheat the chocolate. I switched to the white chocolate instead and have never had a grainy problem since. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%