Help! First Timer

Baking By Craftymomof2 Updated 2 Apr 2015 , 11:08am by Craftymomof2

Craftymomof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Craftymomof2 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 3:13am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum although I have been reading up on quite a few posts over the past few weeks.

my son's baptism is coming up in a few weeks I've decided that I would attempt to make my first fondant cake. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I decided this would be a good idea. so I've decided to make a boxed lemon cake and I'm looking on for suggestions on if I should put a lemon curd inside and a vanilla buttercream around or just do a vanilla buttercream inside and around.

Any good recipes? Any suggestions!? Am I totally out of my mind? 

5 replies
Craftymomof2 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 3:17am
post #2 of 6

Also should I put a lemon pudding in my box cake to make it taste better and make it more firm? 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 3:42am
post #3 of 6

I like lemon with cream cheese or lemon with chocolate ganache.

Lemon and lemon would be a bit of an overkill for me, but that's just my personal preference....

Fondant isn't as difficult to work with as some may think.

Just be sure to not have your son's cake be the trial run. You should do at least one cake as a practice. What design are you planning on doing anyway?

Craftymomof2 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Julia,

Thank you for responding...I'm really out of my element but wanted to give it a try.

I am going to attempt an 10 inch and 8 inch round cake for about 56 people. Three layers each? or two?

Simple is best I think for my first go around with this but not sure exactly what to do. Should I use the ribbon that I'm using throughout the Baptism to give it some design or buy a roller and do something funky? 

Can I fondant over cream cheese frosting? I love that idea. Any good recipes?

I am going to attempt to make a cake for Easter just to make sure I can do it before I actually do my son's as I do need the practice.  

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 4:39am
post #5 of 6

Simple can be very elegant. I wouldn't go overboard trying new things as you'll be busy enough. Using the same ribbon sounds great!

I can pm you a recipe - and yes you can cover it in fondant - just make sure that if you go for a cream cheese frosting to keep it in the fridge until last minute since it is perishable!

it doesn't matter if you do 2 or 3 layers, that's your personal choice. I prefer 3 because you get more icing / filling in-between.

A 10" and 8" cake will feed 48 to 62 people depending if you cut party size or wedding size pieces.

Craftymomof2 Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 11:08am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much Julie. I really appreciate your input. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%