Replacement For Just Whites

Baking By musikat Updated 31 Mar 2015 , 9:25am by Magic Mouthfuls

musikat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musikat Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 12:34am
post #1 of 5

I have always used Deb El Just Whites to make my Swiss Meringue icing and now I can't find it anywhere! Even on Amazon it is either unavailable or crazy expensive. Besides using fresh egg whites (which seem wasteful and I have always worried about it not being pastuerized because I like to keep my cakes out at room temperature) does anyone have another brand that is widely available that they could recommend? I have three cakes in two weeks coming up, the first one on Friday! Or should I just bite the bullet and use fresh?

4 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 1:07am
post #2 of 5

I have used the All Whites pasteurized egg whites in meringue before... I have not tried them for the meringue icings though... But they do whip up stiff...

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 1:41am
post #3 of 5

The All Whites will work but they take forever to whip up stiff.  I just went with fresh eggs to save my KA.

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 3:03am
post #4 of 5

Is that Swiss Meringue Buttercream? If so, I've only ever used fresh egg whites. Since they cook as you make it, they shouldn't need to be pasteurised.

To save wasting the yolks you could make up some delicious lemon curd or an omelette or something.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 9:25am
post #5 of 5

Yes! bite the bullet and buy fresh.  Here in Australia, fresh eggs cost less than buying just buying egg whites - and I use the leftover yolks for custard, lemon curd or scrambled eggs.  Even if I were to throw them, it is still cheaper than buying just the whites - go figure!  

The process of making SMBC actually pastueurises the eggs. By taking them to 160F you have killed any bacteria.  Butter is a shelf stable product and the sugar also keeps this buttercream for a good deal of time at room temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%