Can I Substitute Powdered Suger For Regular?

Baking By mrmajeika Updated 28 Mar 2015 , 5:26pm by -K8memphis

mrmajeika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrmajeika Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make this cake http://www.browneyedbaker.com/snickers-cake/

I think i have already got off to a bad start. Firstly I don't have three tins to bake it in, so i have just used one 20cm tin. I have lowered the temp and i will bake it for longer. It is in the oven now so hopefully it will turn out ok. I didn't use all the batter as the tin was already over half full so hopefully it will be big enough and then I will attempt to slice it in to three layers.

The second problem was that I didn't actually have enough buttermilk. I only had one cup and i should have used 1 1/2 cups. I added a small amount of heavy cream. should this affect it too much?

The third and main problem is that the nougat filling requires 1 cup of granulated sugar. I only have powdered sugar. Is it ok to use it instead? I am worried that it will end up too thick

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 4

the smaller pan might not exactly work -- i hope it does for you but might be trouble there getting it cooked in the middle but i hope not -- maybe go with two layers?

i don't think the buttermilk/cream thing is a real issue --

it could work -- but for something like nougat i would not try to sub in powdered for sugar just because i've had so much failure with making candy in my youth -- i'd stick to the recipe -- and you would need about twice as much more powdered to make up the same amount as regular sugar -- if you google it you can find the exact ratio

and here's what domino says

"Q.  Can confectioners sugar be substituted for granulated sugar in recipes?

A.  It is not recommended to substitute confectioners sugar forgranulated sugar. Since confectioners sugar has a much finer texture, and it contains a small percentage of cornstarch to prevent caking, substituting can give you unexpected results."

mrmajeika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrmajeika Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 4

thanks, I actually went out and bought some sugar so i could make it properly. The cake has seemed to bake properly. It dipped in the middle so i have cut the top off to level it and it seems cooked inside. it is still a bit warm so i have put it in the fridge to firm up slightly so i can cut it

The nougat tastes nice but i can feel the grains of sugar. I stirred the sugar with the melted butter and evaporated milk but it obviously didn't dissolve properly

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 4

making candy is a trip unto itself -- maybe it didn't melt -- but it might have melted and re-crystalized because if the sugar crystalized around the edge of the pot or if it was crystalized and clinging to the spoon -- those crystals will re-infect the whole batch back into being crystals  --

congrats on the cake success --

that cake picture/recipe looks/sounds outstanding -- sometimes the first time is our practice run -- for me it's the also my second and third time as practice runs hahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%