!st Wedding Cake

Baking By CTgardener Updated 24 Mar 2015 , 7:37pm by ammcats

CTgardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTgardener Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 5

I am a very good home baker who will be making my nephew's wedding cake sometime this spring or summer. I have never made a tiered cake, but I can make SMBC, level a cake, and do some basic decorating. I have some questions.

1. I will need new pans I have narrowed it down to Fat Daddio's or Magic Line. The main difference seems to be that the daddioes are anodized and the magic lines are not. I am doing a round cake so the corners are not important to me. Any thoughts would be great.

2. there will be 20 to 40 guests and I am planning on doing a 10,8,6; 2 layers high with 2 inch pans. Will this be enough cake?

3. Will SMBC hold up in a 150 year old house with spotty air conditioning and no refrigerator space?

4. I have to travel about 40 miles. if I bring the cake separate tiers  how do I keep them from shifting in their boxes if the are cardboard that is the exact size of the tiers?

5. I know I have to dowel the bottom 2 tiers but do I have to drive a dowel down through the middle of the whole cake? I have to say that terrifies me!

4 replies
ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 5

I've found as long as the pans are all the same brand, it is personal preference what you use.  That is a huge amount of cake for such a small wedding.  The 10" alone will serve 38 guests.  If travelling with seperate tiers, centre dowel will not be necessary. Have fun and enjoy the process!

ammcats Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

Oh, and to keep them shifting in the boxes, lay down some antiskid mat like what you put in drawers.

CTgardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTgardener Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 5

Thank You! I feel better already, I was afraid that it was a lot of cake but I really want it to look look like a WEDDING cake.

ammcats Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 5

I hear you about wanting it to look like a wedding cake.  I made my sons one, and for 70 guests made enough to feed half the army.  Luckily it was fruit cake and so we repurposed one tier into a Christmas cake ( just changed the decorations!), gifted one tier for the inlaws christmas cake, and they had the top tier for their anniversary cake.  It was just kept in a box and was beautiful and mature a year later!  The bottom tier was served at the wedding and the guests also all took home a piece.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%