Sewer Cover?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 22 Mar 2015 , 9:48pm by ginak08

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 5

Wow! It's been a long time since I posted.

I am doing my son's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cake next month.   The last two cakes, I've used modeling chocolate and I like it so much better than MMF for modeling.  Anyway, I need to make a sewer cover, probably 8-9" in diameter.   I saw tons in the gallery but I didn't say materials in many. I saw cardboard in fondant. 

What would you use?  Plain Gumpaste?   Fondant and gumpaste mix? 

4 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 12:53am
post #2 of 5

I just saw a fabulous sewer cover on a TMNT cake on the wilton forum,   The last 2 times I tried to post a link to that forum, this site would not accept the url, so I'll see if this will connect.  If not I'll try again in a new post since I don't have the edit feature available on the CakeCentral site right now.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=174917

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!

ginak08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginak08 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 5

I just made one yesterday. I used an 8 inch cardboard round and cut it to about 7" then I used 1/2 white gum paste mixed with 1/2 black fondant to cover it. It turned out really sturdy and held up really well! After I covered the board in 50/50 I painted it black (black gel food color mixed with vanilla extract). While my "paint" was still wet, I wiped most of it off with a paper towel. This gave it a "dirty" metallic look. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will. 

ginak08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginak08 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 5

Can't figure out how to post a picture. But if you want to pm me your email address, I wil

be more than happy to email it to you! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%