Fondant Storage

Decorating By gwensmommy11 Updated 16 Mar 2015 , 11:23pm by Pastrybaglady

gwensmommy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwensmommy11 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I have a question about how to store fondant for use this weekend. I have to make two fondant cakes this weekend that will be delivered Sunday. I plan on baking them Thursday and keeping them covered at room temp until Friday. Decorating with fondant on Friday and then storing over Saturday (will be out of town) for delivery Sunday. How should I store over Saturday? Room temperature I know, but covered or uncovered?

Also, how soon in advance can I make my fondant decoration? I have always done it a few days in advance however, one of these cakes is entirely covered in fondant legos. I wanted to get a jump start on the legos tonight but wasnt sure on what the quality would be by Sunday. Is that too long to be sitting in the air? The rest of my decorations (a bow, an art pallet, some paint brushes and letters for the names on both cakes) I plan on doing throughout the week on Wednesday and Thursday seeing as some of the items need to be dried and hard by the time I put it on the cake Friday. It today too early to start some of the legos?

2 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 3

I always so decorations upfront if possible. I mainly store it in my oven since it's dust free or on a tray covered with a box or something to prevent any dust on it.

I've never baked, iced and covered a cake that much in advance though, always try to make it as fresh as possible. How about you bake and freeze til Saturday evening, focus on all the other bits which can be done well in advance, thaw Saturday evening when you come back and ice etc on Sunday morning? Or otherwise you could freeze the iced cake with fondant by...tomorrow or Wednesday? Okay, I know that wasn't your question...just a thought.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 3

You can make fondant decorations way ahead, store them in cardboard boxes and they'll be fine until you're ready to use them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%