How To Make Burgundy Buttercream

Decorating By taartenmaker Updated 11 Mar 2015 , 6:53pm by ropalma

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 10

hello i have a wedding cake order that asks for burgundy buttercream piping, i know theres burgundy food coloring but gives it the exact burgundy colors , i'm looking for the kind of deep red like wine

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 10

reds are so hard to mix -- for one thing you need to know the products you have on hand -- the composition of red food coloring changes routinely so there's that -- i mean to make a beautiful red wine color you'd use red and blue maybe purple and some brown -- but it's just not that easy either -- once the color appears this way or that way you add some of this or that to coax it where you want it --

i think i'd recommend adding burgundy color to red buttercream -- add a dash of purple -- just 10,000 ways to go though -- you might need some black -- don't know --

good luck!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 10

I did some burgundy gumpaste today...I sued a bunch of burgundy airbrush color, then added some crystal colors powder color in a wine color, then a little purple, then more airbrush color. If you're doing icing you should get it as dark as you can, then let it sit overnight because it will get darker.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 10

I "used" airbrush color, didn't "sue" it, hahaha! Is there no edit post option on here anymore? I'm in trouble, I can't type.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 10

i can't type either -- there's an edit button when you leave comments on cake photos -- so hopefully we'll get one over here soon! i could use a spell check too and some emoticons but no hurry -- i'm just glad we're back up & running and i love the new set up

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 12:45am
post #6 of 10

Be careful it may end up tasting really awful.  I have never colored buttercream burgundy but I have colored buckets of royal icing burgundy.  Takes a lot of color and tasted terrible.  It was for a gingerbread house that was for show not eating, thank god.

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 12:50am
post #7 of 10

maybe you could color the shortening first and let it develop a bit before adding the powdered sugar.   Maybe add some  sifted cocoa powder with the sugar for some brown to darken the red tones more .

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 1:26am
post #8 of 10

I accidentally made burgundy icing when I accidentally added my americolor red to my chocolate icing... it looked beautiful... too bad I had to re-make my chocolate icing... That will teach me not to pay as close attention as I should... Or to not do too many things at once...

Matrishyoshka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Matrishyoshka Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 3:47am
post #9 of 10

I have also made burgundy buttercream with red Americolor and cocoa powder! I think the best way to do it is to start with red, let it get rest because the color will darken, and then add brown little by little..

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 10

Wilton makes a burgundy color, I have a container of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%