Double Barrel Sprinkle Cake!

Decorating By knf21583 Updated 14 Mar 2015 , 6:31am by kyliecake

knf21583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knf21583 Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 6:42am
post #1 of 9

Hey all! Long time user, first time poster! Wanted to see if anyone has ever done a double barrel cake covered in sprinkles? I've done my fair share of double barrels, and the only way I've ever done sprinkle covered cakes was to roll it while frozen. The idea of doing that with a double barrel cake has me running for the hills! Has anyone ever done this before? And if so, has anyone come up a more inventive way (and less messy!) other than the ole scoop and press method? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

8 replies
knf21583 Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 6:47am
post #2 of 9

By the way, I've totally posted before, I just completely forgot I had! Got a new computer and since google stores all the passwords automatically I forgot what mine was until I had to log in! ;)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 9:58am
post #3 of 9

I did a sprinkle cake last weekend for my little girl - I used ganache with popping candy through it, let it set up overnight then painted it all over with edible glue made from a small bit of tylose and some water. I sat the cake on an upside down dish with a flat base (non slip mat between the cake and the dish then just stuck the sprinkles on by pressing them on with my hand. It was much much faster and more effective than I had hoped for and the edible glue held the sprinkles no problems without any taste. I can't add a picture for some reason but it is in my photo's if you want to take a look.

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 11:10am
post #4 of 9

i need to do an extended tier next week so i am interested too.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 9

I've read a post about sprinkled cake on here a few months ago. This is a technique using wax paper and cooking spray to apply them on the cake. I did'nt have the chance to try it yet, but it seems to be magical! It might be what you need for your double barrel.

Here's the link. 

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/746158/easy-peasy-tip-for-getting-sprinkles-on-side-of-cake

Laetia

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 9

Do you mean a 'true' double barrel, which, actually, is side by side (think double-barreled shotgun), or a tier that's twice as tall?

Rudd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rudd Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 9

I did a sprinkle cake for the first time this weekend. I wasn't so confident in the freeze & roll process, so I opted for the scoop & press method. I used a cookie sheet layered with paper towels (I was trying to control bounce of the sprinkles), then placed a glass upside down to place the tier on, then I scooted a bowl up to the side of the cup (under the tier) thinking that as I pressed the sprinkles on what fell off would land back in the bowl. This all sounded good in theory until I discovered that sprinkles have more bounce than Tigger (from Winnie the Pooh), lol. I'm still finding sprinkles in my kitchen 3 days later.

knf21583 Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:25am
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I really appreciate it!

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 6:31am
post #9 of 9

I did it! I did a 9" extended tier (6" tall) choc mud with white ganache. I did a layer of butter cream around the edge about 1cm thick, put a board on the top and bottom and sort of dipped/rolled in a tray of sprinkles (jimmies). I place a big teatowel under the tray to catch some of the run aways which sort of worked. I did it while the buttercream was still soft. then i covered the top with buttercream and poured and patted the sprinkles on the top. worked really well (i just posted a pic).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%