What's Your Most Requested/favorite Cake Combo?

Baking By Sheri215 Updated 28 Mar 2015 , 6:58am by Pastrybaglady

Sheri215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sheri215 Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all,

I have a dinner party to go to and I don't know most of the people there but I do know they are all crafty pintrest foodies so I feel pressure to impress!  I volunteered to bring the cake (since I bought tons of cake supplies for my kids bday party and figured I now need to make cakes for all events to offset the costs!  hehe). 

I have no idea what flavor cake to make so I wanted to see what are your most requested or favorite cake combos?  I know I can always count on you guys for great ideas!!  Please share :) 

Thanks in advance!! 

12 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 13

Most people ask for vanilla and chocolate.  I wish they would ask for other flavors.  I am getting tired of Chocolate and Vanila.  If you want to impress maybe go with a carrot cake, humingbird cake, red velvet or lemon.

CakeBlessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBlessed Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 13

Vanilla! Drives me crazy! But everyone just wants vanilla!

Bev25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev25 Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 12:34am
post #4 of 13

Everyone ask me for chocolate - When I'm making the choice my all time favourite is coffee and walnut - I've never had any left over :)

Ashtonlittle89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashtonlittle89 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 12:40am
post #5 of 13

I'm not a cake decorator but I do love to bake. My suggestion is Southern Livings hummingbird cake. It's moist and delicious. 

CoveredinGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredinGrace Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 1:43am
post #6 of 13

Peanut Butter Cup: chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and chocolate buttercream topped with semi-crushed pb cups. That is everyone's favorite cupcake right now, so I would just translate that to a cake design as long as no nut allergies are present. 

Babster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babster Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 13

Almond pound cake with whipped raspberry filling and buttercream frosting is the most requested cake by my clients.  This is also my specialty.  I also make a killer carrot cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 13

besides white cake with a grand marnier splash and one whipped cream and fresh strawberries filling, and two lemonberry fillings-- it's butter pecan cake with rum splash and toffee filling --

but why not consider a beautiful classic regal vanilla pound cake served with macerated strawberries & whipped cream on the side for strawberry shortcake -- best for a buffet style event -- baked in a cool pan like this -- http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/vaulted-dome-bundt-cake-pan/?pkey=cbundt-cake-pans%7C%7C&cm_src=bundt-cake-pans||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Sheri215 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 12:47am
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone.  I went with macs moms pink champagne cake that was amazing!!  Everyone loved it.  

@coveredingrace - that sounds amazing, I think I will try that for me and the kids!  What do you use for your peanut butter filling?  Just peanut butter by itself?

Sheri215 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 12:48am
post #10 of 13

@coveredingrace - that sounds amazing, I think I will try that for me and the kids!  What do you use for your peanut butter filling?

CoveredinGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredinGrace Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 1:14am
post #11 of 13

Peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter if I recall. Whip till it is a little fluffier than peanut butter. The recipe is on Pinterest, the pin looks like whipped peanut butter in a bowl of that helps. ;)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 5:22am
post #12 of 13

I just had that discussion with a friend of mine recently. I believe people always ask for vanilla or chocolate cakes because a) that's what they know and b) they want to please everyone by going with the "safe"/ standard flavor.

Most people are pleasantly surprised when they try "new" flavors. This shows if you give people the options for cupcake flavors. Let's say they want to order 100 cupcakes for a party, most of them would go for at least 4-5 different flavors which shows ne they are interested in trying new flavors but can't when ordering a one tier cake.

When making cake for myself, my family or friends, I intentionally choose cake and icing flavors which are NOT vanilla and chocolate.

People normally are more "impressed" and talk about that new discovered flavor combination more as if I serve vanilla and or chocolate.

Not saying to go completely overboard and reinventing the wheel here. But why not making a refreshing citrus frosting in summer, nuts in autumn etc. Just taking it easy, going with the season, the event, a color scheme or whatever you feel like...

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 6:58am
post #13 of 13

My favorite combo is white cake with raspberry filling and lemon frosting or white cake with lemon curd and strawberry icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%