Refrigeration Needed?

Baking By bakernoob Updated 22 Feb 2015 , 7:56am by bakernoob

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 8:30am
post #1 of 6

I'll be doing a rather large cake for a friend soon and she'd like me to use the following filling recipe:

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

3/4 cup sour cream

My question is once I torte the cake with this will it need to be refrigerated? There's no way the cake will fit in my fridge so maybe there is a similar filling that will keep if this won't? TIA

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 6

Aare you melting the chocolate -- are you adding sour cream to ganache? otherwise i don't know how to get the butter to incorporate w/the other ingredients--

all that to say i would keep sucha mixture refrigerated

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 6

There's not enough sugar in that for preservation, so I'd say yes it should be refrigerated.

And this is exactly why cake professionals do not let cake civillians specify recipes.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 6

I guess you need to do a cleaning out of your refrigerator and try to make room. Every time I make a cake I normally clean out  my refrigerator to make room for my cake. I only do as hobby so I don't have too many huge cakes to do. The biggest cake I ever made was a 9 x 13 Tres Leche cake that was 3 layers thick.  You could always go to craigslist and buy a used refrigerator that you use for cakes only. Good luck!!

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 6

A[quote name="leah_s"

And this is exactly why cake professionals do [I]not[/I] let cake civillians specify recipes. [/quote]

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 7:56am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much! I figured it would need to be kept in there but told her I'd try to find out anyway  :-) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%