Ganache Problems, Can Anyone Help?

Decorating By CoinUK Updated 12 Feb 2015 , 10:47pm by Nancylou

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hey all

Started using ganache recently, only used it a couple of times so far and having mixed results. 

The dark chocolate ganache I made first came out perfectly. Think, luxurious and just how I wanted it. perfect for filling a cake and using for dirty icing as well, but too strong a taste for some.

Next one I did was a milk chocolate ganace which came out.....ok. It tasted divine, much easier on the palette for taste, but was a lot softer and runny. I left it to set overnight and mixed it just before I put it on the cake. It came out ok, but with is being runnier than I wanted it, it was a lot harder to use.

So how do I make it thicker? Do I need more cream, more chocolate leave it to set longer? I did ponder adding some icing sugar, but I didn't want to make it too sweet to taste.

Any help is gratefully received! :D

6 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like too much cream.  Ganache ratios are pretty easy, I just kind of eyeball it anymore. 

1 part cream to an equal 1 part chocolate for all my ganache fillings or a nice, smooth icing to ice a cake with.  I like this consistency for icing so this is my usual go to for icing a cake.  Also I use this ratio to ice cupcakes.

When I want to make truffles (which isn't often) or I need a thicker ganache for decorating I use 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream.  This is THICK.  

If I want a really thin icing I use 2 parts cream to one part chocolate.  I normally use this ratio when I want to pour the ganache over a cake, cookies, fruit etc.  It's very thin.  I make this one for the kids too use to pour over ice cream.  

I have made some that was too thin once it had cooled to room temp so I put it back on the double boiler and added more chocolate and it worked fine. 

Hope some of this helps.  I normally only use ganache to fill cakes or frost them before I cover with fondant and I almost always use the 1:1 ratio. 

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 7

Hmm, that's the weird thing, I used a 1 to 1 ratio for them both!

Is it the fact that it's a milk chocolate that's making it more runny? I'm guessing I'll have to add more chocolate to thicken it up then?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 7

CoinUK - For your Milk and Dark Ganache - try using 2 parts chocolate to one part cream.

Are you using the full strength cream?...........It makes a better Ganache...

For White Ganache - use 3 parts chocolate to one part cream :)

Using these measurements - your Ganache should set up beautifully.....

Hope this helps

Bluehue

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 7

Huh that IS weird!  I use the same 1:1 ratio for both dark and milk chocolate and never had any problems.  Try Blue's advice and see if that helps. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 7

I also suggest using a ratio of 2:1 for milk/dark (I use a combination of both chocolates to give me the taste and set up that I want) and 3:1 (or 4:1 in hot weather) for white chocolate if you want a firm set ganache.

Using a 1:1 ratio will give you a soft ganache that wont set firm at all.

Use a whipping cream with 35-36% fat for the best most reliable results. Any more/less fat will alter the results you get.

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 7

I also had a problem with my milk chocolate setting up, so I started using a 3:1 ratio and it solved the problem.  During the winter months I used 2.5:1.

Hope this helps, I know I sure was frustrated because not everyone is a fan of the very user friendly dark chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%