Taste Testing Fees

Business By kendrascountry Updated 12 Feb 2015 , 2:45am by kendrascountry

kendrascountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendrascountry Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 3:06am
post #1 of 9

We have been trying to figure out if we should charge for taste testings and possibly changing our policy for this online. Is there anyone that has seen a decline in clients due to charging for taste testings???

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendrascountry 

We have been trying to figure out if we should charge for taste testings and possibly changing our policy for this online. Is there anyone that has seen a decline in clients due to charging for taste testings???

I started charging for tastings and I have fewer people booking appointments, but pretty much the same rate of final bookings. It's eliminated no-shows and looky-lous, and the people who don't hire me have paid a nominal fee for my time so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time. There are a lot of decorators in my area (I mean a LOT) and some charge and some don't. 

The thing that I've really noticed is that there are a few planners in my area who take kickbacks from vendors, and they used to send people to me who would never book. They've stopped sending clietns since I started charging for tastings, and I think it's because they would use me to make it look like they were giving their clients an option. Then they would steer them to the baker who gives them a kickback, and that isn't me. Since I charge for appointments now those deadbeats have stopped using me to make themsleves look better, which I consider a bonus.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9

AI have always charged for tastings. My booking rate has been 90%. The people who don't book are few and far between. Most people who pay the fee find something they like (flavor wise) and go ahead and book.

Like stated above, it really eliminates the looky-Lous.

Edited to add: I do have quite a few people who don't respond after I tell them there is a fee for the tasting

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

I also charge a fee.  I just don't have the time to do tastings for a "girls day out" and couples who aren't serious.  The fee weeds all these types out.  I do have people who don't respond back after they find there is a fee, but I figure they wouldn't have booked anyway.  (my fee is deducted from their total if they book with me, essentially making it free to my clients)

kendrascountry Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 12:31am
post #5 of 9

Thank you all for your help with this! I feel better knowing that charging keeps away those sorts of people. We also like the idea that the fee goes towards the total, essentially making it free for clients who book! What would you typically charge for a tasting and how many flavors are you supposed to offer?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 12:57am
post #6 of 9

I charge $20 and do four basic flavors. It's a tasting to let them see if they like your cake, not a dessert buffet.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 9

I charge $35.  Flavors are my choice.  I serve my cake and frostings separate.  I usually do 3 cake flavors and 6 frosting/fillings.  When I'm baking for other other ordersAppleMark

I put all my extras in single serving containers and freeze and then the night before just pull out what I need.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 9

i suggest a mixed dozen cupcakes and apply 1/2 the cost of the cupcakes to their order if they book and it's over $150

kendrascountry Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 2:45am
post #9 of 9

You all have great ideas! Thank you for sharing :) We are definitely going to begin to charge now for sure, we are just hammering out the details. I agree, it is most definitely not a dessert buffet! I love the idea of cupcakes as well as serving the cake and frosting separate, I always have clients wanting to mix and match the flavors. Thanks again, happy baking to you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%