Wilton Wonder Doll Mold Fail

Decorating By ChrissieJennett Updated 24 Jan 2015 , 10:53pm by ChrissieJennett

ChrissieJennett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrissieJennett Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 3:18am
post #1 of 7

I don't know where I went wrong!  Ha. The instructions on this skirt mold don't tell you how full to fill the pan. I assumed fairly full since you want a large skirt. Even after cooking my cake 10-15 minutes longer than instructed, the cake was still not done in the middle. I started getting concerned it was overcooking at the edges. Thoughts? Perhaps I just overfilled? I filled to about 3 inches from the top. I ended up having to toss the entire thing, and instead used 2, 6-inch rounds, topped with a dome.

6 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 3:27am
post #2 of 7

AIt's best to bake at a lower temperature and for a longer period of time.

ChrissieJennett Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 3:41am
post #3 of 7

I will try that next time. Thanks!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 7

It does take a while to bake. Just DO NOT OMIT THE CENTER ROD!!!  This is critical for it to cook.

ChrissieJennett Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 7

AI used it. Have either of you used this mold? Tell me specifically, how full was the pan, what was your oven temp and cooking time? Thanks.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, mine is well used. I bake at 325 and it does take a while. I set the timer for 35mins and use a wood skewer to check doneness. I reset the timer and check it again. I fill to 1.5 inches from top as I like it to be as high as possible. I don't remember how long it takes to bake as I never paid attention.

When I take it out, I cool covered by paper towels. Air conditioning can contribute to dry cake while cooling.

ChrissieJennett Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 7

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3324543/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I ended up using 2 6 inch rounds and a dome. They looked ok but weren't super sturdy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%