Suggestions On Shipping Undecorated Cake Layers On Airplane

Decorating By SSCountryDelights Updated 19 Jan 2015 , 2:33am by maybenot

SSCountryDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSCountryDelights Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 1:16am
post #1 of 5

AI am in Pennsylvania and my son is getting married in Florida in August. I am try to determine a way to ship baked layers on the airplane with us to decorate on site. I don't want to bake on site, because I am unsure of the oven situation in our accommodations. I was thinking of baking the cakes, freezing them, placing them back in baking pans, wrapping them well and shipping them as checked baggage. Has anyone done this or does anyone have suggestions?

4 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 1:59am
post #2 of 5

i took a 4 tiered wedding cake in two carry on boxes. two tiers were buttercream and fondant. two were ganache and fondant. they were not frozen, but chilled. i lined the boxes with bubble wrap and put a large freezer pack in each one. They arrived intact and all i had to do was stack them on site the next morning. 

jen

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 3:35am
post #3 of 5

I would never "cargo" it, but as carry-ons...OK. I did this snoopy cake in Texas, two parts, "house part", and "roof" part. Snoopy laid next to roof in transport. Mind you, it was December, so cold. Double cake boxes, Masonite board for bases, lots of tape. CHILLED solid before departure. Arrived fine. 

Attached Snoopy with toothpicks, added one more fondant strip to join cakes (after photo)... Done!

Emergency repair kit in hand, and you are good. Good Luck!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 3:36am
post #4 of 5

hmmm. downloads acting strange

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 2:33am
post #5 of 5

I took 8 baked layers in tight fitting cake boxes with a cake board on top & bottom.  They all fit in the overhead very nicely.  They had been frozen, but I'm sure by the time we were thru security, I doubt that they were anything but cool.

I iced and assembled the cakes [using the 63 lbs. of tools, buttercream, and fondant that went as checked luggage] in a small condo kitchen on the Vegas strip.

Pretty happy with the result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%