How Do I Get Fondant Off My Wood Cake Board?

Decorating By drea88 Updated 4 Jan 2015 , 10:39am by Callicious

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 9

AI bought a wood cake board at a cake store, and I made the mistake of covering it in fondant without using anything to protect the board. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the fondant off the board without damaging it (I would like to reuse it)? I've been using wet paper towels to try to dissolve the fondant, but I'm having trouble getting it all off, and it doesn't seem like I should submerse the board in water. In the past, I've only decorated foam core or cardboard cake boards with fondant and then thrown them away, so I didn't think this through.

8 replies
maggieg99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggieg99 Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 9

I would let the fondant dry, then scrape if off with a nylon scraper, similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BX017W/?tag=cakecentral-20

Then wash the board with warm water using minimal soap. Water will not hurt the board.  You can find instructions for cleaning a wood cutting board here:

http://www.cuttingboard.com/blog/how-to-properly-clean-your-wood-cutting-board/ 

drea88 Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 9

AThank you for the suggestions. I use water on my wood cutting boards, but the cake board feels more like particle board, so I was afraid I might damage it if I put it in water.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 2:28am
post #4 of 9

Possibly try pouring boiling water over any fondant that is left after scraping, whilst scraping at the same time.  Might help dissolve any leftover fondant without the water soaking in too much.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 5:49am
post #5 of 9

Depending on the size of the board could you put it in your microwave to soften the fondant enough to easily scrape off with a metal spatula/butter knife so as to not damage the wood.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 1:05am
post #6 of 9

ADo you think a mini steamer would work? One of those $20.00 ones to lightly steam the fondant to soften it.

Muhloy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muhloy Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 2:57am
post #7 of 9

AWhat about using a still toothbrush after its dried?

drea88 Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 8:12am
post #8 of 9

AThanks for all of the suggestions. They gave me lots of ideas. I steamed the board over a pot of boiling water to soften the remaining bits and then used a sponge with a tiny bit of soap to get rid of the stickiness. I used a damp towel to get rid of the soap, let the board dry, and it was like new again. I will be more careful next time. :-)

Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 10:39am
post #9 of 9

AI use a damp cloth over top of board to soften, then with a palette knife, slowly and carefully slide under and lift fondant. I've done this a few times successfully

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%