Normal Turn/lead Time For A Full Sheet Cake (24 X 18)...

Decorating By smrgrl13 Updated 25 Nov 2014 , 7:50am by smrgrl13

smrgrl13 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 40

I need to make a cake for a friend's child's event.  It is a full sheet cake (24 x 18) with buttercream and lemon curd filling, minimal decoration and writing.  What is the normal turn and/or lead time for a cake this size and an approximate cost bakery would charge (whether it be a large grocery store or small bakery)?

 

Also, in order to transport the cake I have planned on using a piece of plywood covered w/ food grade decorative foil.  What do others use in such a case and what is a good thickness for the plywood?

 

Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

 

J~

39 replies
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 40

Ai would make a board out of thick foam core -- plywood is too heavy for me - lemon curd needs to stay cold right? so you need refrigerator space -- an idea to make it easier to store in the fridge is to make it into a two layer cake

smrgrl13 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 40

I am making  2 - 12 x 18's so they will fit in my home oven and then piece and frost them together.  Refrigeration is not an issue as it will have a place to go once it is decorated.  Several people will be carry the cake on the plywood.  I'm afraid foam core would bend or even crack under the weight of a cake that size.

leah_s Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 40

so since it has a filling, it will be 4" tall?

leah_s Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 40

or only 2" tall?  Critical to know, because it affects the # servings, which determines the retail price.

smrgrl13 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 40

The cake will be 4" tall.

 

Thank you.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 12:41am
post #7 of 40

Ait's a double sheet cake serves nearly 200 --

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 2:44am
post #8 of 40

24X18X4 = 216 standard servings

My price would be $864+delivery (probably $50)

 

I'd bake 5 days ahead, torte it and get it in the freezer.  

4 days ahead I'd make the lemon curd (which will be about 1/2 a ton) and all the buttercream.

3 days ahead, I'd get the board ready and any decorations that can be made ahead.  I'd make sure the board fits in my vehicle too.

2 days ahead I'd get the cake out of the freezer, fill, wrap and let it settle.

Day before, put bc on and decorate.

Day of - deliver.

smrgrl13 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 2:45am
post #9 of 40

Yes, this is all correct.  However, no one has still answered my initial question?  What would the "normal' or customary turn/lead time be for a cake this size?  Price to customer?  As I stated previously:  yellow cake, lemon curd, vanilla buttercream, minimal decorations, w/ some text.

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 2:53am
post #10 of 40

I didn't answer your question?????

MimiFix Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 2:55am
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrgrl13 
 

... no one has still answered my initial question?  What would the "normal' or customary turn/lead time be for a cake this size?  Price to customer?

 

I don't quite understand your question about lead time. Do you want to know how far in advance a customer needs to order?

 

Leah answered your price question. "$864+delivery (probably $50)"

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 2:56am
post #12 of 40

I gave you a detailed baking/decorating schedule, too.

smrgrl13 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 3:00am
post #13 of 40

My apologies.  I was responding to someone else evidently.  Leah_s response did not come through right away.  

smrgrl13 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 3:01am
post #14 of 40

Yes, that is what I mean regarding lead time.

smrgrl13 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 3:02am
post #15 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 
 

24X18X4 = 216 standard servings

My price would be $864+delivery (probably $50)

 

I'd bake 5 days ahead, torte it and get it in the freezer.  

4 days ahead I'd make the lemon curd (which will be about 1/2 a ton) and all the buttercream.

3 days ahead, I'd get the board ready and any decorations that can be made ahead.  I'd make sure the board fits in my vehicle too.

2 days ahead I'd get the cake out of the freezer, fill, wrap and let it settle.

Day before, put bc on and decorate.

Day of - deliver.

 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!  Just what I was looking for.

smrgrl13 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 3:04am
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 
 

I didn't answer your question?????

 

My apologies.  I was responding to someone else evidently.  Your response did not come through right away.  

 
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 
 

I didn't answer your question?????

 
smrgrl13 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 3:05am
post #17 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 

 

I don't quite understand your question about lead time. Do you want to know how far in advance a customer needs to order?

 

Leah answered your price question. "$864+delivery (probably $50)"

Yes, that is what I mean regarding lead time.

Naivohw Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 3:44am
post #18 of 40

It looks like you have your questions answered, but since you asked about grocery store pricing as well: I work in a grocery store and we would charge about $100 and would need 24 hrs to make it. However, that $100 would be buttercream out of a tub with all sorts of chemicals in it (hey, I just use it, I don't eat it) and lemon gel filling instead of lemon curd. So that is where a lot of the price drop comes from. That and the ability for the large stores to order so much stuff in bulk it really cuts down on their costs.

 

It might be worth going to your local grocery store to see about buying a box for the cake for transport, or even just a foil cake board for looks. We sell all our containers to customers, and our full sheet boxes are very heavy-duty.

smrgrl13 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 5:11am
post #19 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naivohw 
 

It looks like you have your questions answered, but since you asked about grocery store pricing as well: I work in a grocery store and we would charge about $100 and would need 24 hrs to make it. However, that $100 would be buttercream out of a tub with all sorts of chemicals in it (hey, I just use it, I don't eat it) and lemon gel filling instead of lemon curd. So that is where a lot of the price drop comes from. That and the ability for the large stores to order so much stuff in bulk it really cuts down on their costs.

 

It might be worth going to your local grocery store to see about buying a box for the cake for transport, or even just a foil cake board for looks. We sell all our containers to customers, and our full sheet boxes are very heavy-duty.

Thank you also!  This also helps out immensely.  I give everyone HUGE thanks for answering my questions !

MimiFix Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 12:31pm
post #20 of 40

Lead time should be set by the business owner and all customers advised about this. Having guidelines helps everyone. So if you need two weeks or two months, make the decision and stick with it. (Your stress level and the need to vent on CC can be greatly reduced!)   

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 12:48pm
post #21 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naivohw 
 

It looks like you have your questions answered, but since you asked about grocery store pricing as well: I work in a grocery store and we would charge about $100 and would need 24 hrs to make it. However, that $100 would be buttercream out of a tub with all sorts of chemicals in it (hey, I just use it, I don't eat it) and lemon gel filling instead of lemon curd. So that is where a lot of the price drop comes from. That and the ability for the large stores to order so much stuff in bulk it really cuts down on their costs.

 

It might be worth going to your local grocery store to see about buying a box for the cake for transport, or even just a foil cake board for looks. We sell all our containers to customers, and our full sheet boxes are very heavy-duty.

 

question -- is the $100 for one full size one layer sheet cake or for a two layer aka 2 full sheet cakes --

 

and fwiw the lemon gel means the store and the customer don't have to sweat the refrigeration requirement for lemon curd to be safe to eat

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 12:53pm
post #22 of 40

A$100 for a full size sheet (24 x 18) 4" tall that serves 216? Really? Really?

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 1:07pm
post #23 of 40

it's confusing because op said a full sheet cake -- but apparently she meant two full sheet cakes stacked -- plus if she's asking and is unsure about lead time then she needs to switch to lemon gel because lemon curd has to be handled correctly for the safety of the 200 guests

Naivohw Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 2:31pm
post #24 of 40

AWe charge 43.99 for a full size, 2" high sheet cake, lightly decorated. If the OP were to order two it would be 87.98, and I would charge extra for stacking them, since usually all of our sheet cakes are sold as a 2" sheet that is split and filled. So yeah, about $100

embersmom Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 7:39pm
post #25 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naivohw 

We charge 43.99 for a full size, 2" high sheet cake, lightly decorated. If the OP were to order two it would be 87.98, and I would charge extra for stacking them, since usually all of our sheet cakes are sold as a 2" sheet that is split and filled. So yeah, about $100


We charge $39.99 for a full size 2" high sheet cake.

 

We don't stack our cakes.  If you wanted a filled cake like the OP's, we'd split that full sheet in half, dam it, fill it, replace the top half, then ice/decorate it.  Maybe it'd be 3" at the most?  I think it adds another $10 to the price IIRC (we don't get many orders for them, so I'm just going on the last time I did one).

Naivohw Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 7:47pm
post #26 of 40

AYeah, we'll stack and torte our rounds but not sheets. I've never actually stacked a sheet at work but my manager usually lets me do whatever as long as I am confident and can do it relatively quickly.

kazita Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 8:07pm
post #27 of 40

A

Original message sent by leah_s

$100 for a full size sheet (24 x 18) 4" tall that serves 216? Really? Really?

Lmao Leah....I heard your tone of voice change with that second "Really"....or at least I think I did.....yeah $100 for a sheet cake....really?? Really??

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 8:30pm
post #28 of 40

I think maybe we all need to go back to the definition of a full sized sheet cake.  

24 X 18 is full

12 X 18 is half.

 

I see grocery store bakeries in my area all the time calling a 12 X 18 a full sheet and its not.  

 

The OP  specifically said 24 X 18, 4" tall.  216 servings.  That may be four of what some people are calling a "full sheet."

 

Kazita, it's amazing how well my voice travels.  :-)

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 8:33pm
post #29 of 40

also sheet cakes are one layer

kazita Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 8:49pm
post #30 of 40

AWow thats one huge cake!!!!

Lmao Leah!!!!:grin:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%