Perishable Goods Under Fondant - Confused!

Decorating By oceansblue Updated 16 Dec 2014 , 10:48pm by oceansblue

oceansblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceansblue Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I'm really confused on what I can and can't use in cake ingredients, frostings, buttercream and ganache under fondant.  I'm aware you can't use fresh cream and fresh fruit as it has to be refrigerated and that's a no no when a cake is covered in fondant.  Can you use condensed milk in buttercream under fondant?  Can fresh fruit juices be added to the cake before cooking or will the acid affect the fondant?    I'm in the UK, does anyone know of a link of the do's and don'ts.  I have so many question's. Xx

2 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 1:51am
post #2 of 3

Basically the best rule to consider under fondant - is nothing wet.  So fresh cream, fresh fruit and some cream cheese frosting recipes have too much 'water' content and it makes the fondant sweat and melt from underneath - which makes it eventually slide right off the cake.  

Also - fondant doesn't like the fridge - so if anything in your cake means it needs to be kept in the fridge (ie fresh cream) then again it's a no no.

Fresh juices in a cake batter are fine - so orange cake, lemon cake etc etc are all good.  The baking process evaporates most of the water content.

Happy baking!

oceansblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceansblue Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 3

Thats great, really helpful. I've been searching the net for info on this and was unable to find anything.

thankyou ever so much. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%