Will Royal Icing Break Down On Ganache?

Decorating By bubs1stbirthday Updated 11 Nov 2014 , 11:46am by bubs1stbirthday

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 2:20am
post #1 of 7

I have searched high and low and cannot seem to find the answer to this question. I am hoping that someone who has done this can reassure me that it will be ok. I have some 'lacy' RI butterflies and mock up miniature 'garden ornaments' that are also very fine that I am wanting to use on Ganache as cupcake toppers.

I am super excited to say that I am entering them in our local show in the cake section and because of that they need to be on there for at least 24 hours and I am a bit worried that as they are so fine they may soften and break/drop over this time.

I have only ever applied thicker RI decorations to Ganache and have never noticed any deterioration of those but I am pretty nervous about getting these right.

I have seen many photo's while I have been searching for an answer where they have clearly used ganache to hold RI but I would assume that these photo's were taken directly after making them and not a day later.

Thankyou :-)

6 replies
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 7

I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know of any experiences they have had with fine RI decorations on Ganache. Thanks.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 7

AIf I were in your situation, I would do a 24 hour (at least) test. I wouldn't think this is a cut and dry issue with RI and ganache. Too many other factors. I can make ganache work with different liquid ratios. I can make royal look airy like sea foam candy or solid like glass. And if it's really rainy, forget it. But really, if your ganache is not soft at room temp, and it's not in a humid area, it should not wilt. But for something like this with the possibility of variables in what one person does to the next, I would do a mock up. I wouldn't put trust elsewhere.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

my experience with RI is that once it's dry...completely dry, it's pretty sturdy and i think it will be fine as a topper. 

I've also never had any trouble piping it right on to bc or ganache, but i won't guarantee that it will hold up. 

bubs1stbirthday Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 12:52am
post #5 of 7

Thankyou for your answers - I will see if I can fit in making some extra decorations and the ganache and do a trial run - just a bit stressed out at the moment. My husbands Grandmother died last week and the funeral is in a couple of days - we are self catering and I thought it might be a nice idea to volunteer to do the majority of the biscuits/slices etc.

On the upside I just solved my problem by realising that the pep slice that is on the list for baking today or tomorrow is actually topped with ganache. Duh!! I will just mock up a decoration and chuck it on some of that ganache. Thankyou again.

Today Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Today Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 9:03am
post #6 of 7

Welcome to  have more fun game waiting for you  http://www.fifa14cup.com

bubs1stbirthday Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 11:46am
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Today 

Welcome to  have more fun game waiting for you  http://www.fifa14cup.com

Awesome - I need some stress relieving fun right now.

On a more serious note, I placed a broken butterfly antenna on a bit of Ganache about 8 hours ago now and no change in the firmness of it so far. Will report back tomorrow after the full 24 hours for anyone else who might be wondering the same thing as I was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%