Help Refrigerate Mmf Cake

Decorating By ilovedragons89 Updated 6 Nov 2014 , 11:48pm by maybenot

ilovedragons89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovedragons89 Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 3

AI've read so many threads about this and I am SO confused! I am making a two tier fondant cake for my nephew's birthday. I am going out of town 5 days before his party. How should I store it? The cake will be covered with mmf and have some mmf decorations. I'll also have a 3d turtle fondant topper that doesn't have to be stored with the cake. I'm so nervous about leaving the cake for 5 days. Someone else will be delivering the cake so when I leave on Wednesday I won't be seeing the cake again. What are the instructions I should leave with the cake? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 3

I never refrigerate my MMF covered cakes.  Even refrigerated I am concerned with a 5 day old cake but that is personal preference.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 3

For 5 days, you really need to freeze the finished cake. Supply the topper, un-frozen, in a separate box.

Place the finished cake in a cardboard box and wrap the box in saran wrap and a layer of foil.  Freeze.  24hrs. b/4 display, place still wrapped box in fridge.  A few hours b/4 display, place still wrapped box on counter [larger cakes need a longer time] to come to room temp.  Right b/4 display, remove cake from box. 

When done this way, the condensation goes to the box & not the cake, so the cake isn't sticky/shiny and looks & tastes just made.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%