Pricing

Business By inakay Updated 22 Oct 2014 , 10:23am by inakay

inakay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inakay Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 3:57am
post #1 of 9

AWhen doing an anniversary (tier) cake, do i charge based on wedding cake serving sizes or party serving sizes?

8 replies
noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 9:35am
post #2 of 9

That is all up to you.

Some people use the same charging for all cakes whether they are birthdays, weddings etc.  Some people charge more for wedding cakes.  Its really a matter of personal preference.

inakay Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 10:01am
post #3 of 9

AThank you so much.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 9

I think this maybe a terminology thing, but I don't know what you mean by wedding size/party sized slices.  Most people I know have dessert slices or coffee slices.  Dessert slices are 5cm x 2.5cm x 10high, coffee 2.5cm x 2.5cm x 10cm high.  It is up to the customer to decide which sized slice they want to serve their guests, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 9

AIn the US Wilton is the standard for slice size. There website has a party size and a wedding size. The difference comes in the height of the cake. If the cake is 4" or taller than the serving size is 1" x 2" x 4" (or taller). If the cake is 2" tall then the serving size is 2" x 2" x 2".

I price cakes for all occasions the same way. But all my cakes are at least 4" tall. I don't do short cakes. I give the client a cutting guide, explain what to do and then send them on their way.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

I think this maybe a terminology thing, but I don't know what you mean by wedding size/party sized slices.  Most people I know have dessert slices or coffee slices.  Dessert slices are 5cm x 2.5cm x 10high, coffee 2.5cm x 2.5cm x 10cm high.  It is up to the customer to decide which sized slice they want to serve their guests, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

810~~ The wedding serving size would be about the same as the Australian "dessert" serving.  The USA does not offer coffee slices. (For those in the USA who don't know what these are, here is a great guide with photos:)

http://www.weddingchicks.com/2013/01/14/coffee-or-dessert-portions/

Inakay~~The standard for pricing purposes ("how many servings") in the USA is usually based on the Wilton Wedding serving sizes which represent a cake that is 4" tall (two layers with filling).  The wedding serving is 1" wide x 2" deep x 4" tall. 

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

Here is a superb example that can be shown to a client that will show exactly how large a wedding serving will be:

Sample Cake Serving Sizes -- made of Paper or Cardstock

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=142470&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 9

That's up to you and whether or not you want to make less money or more money.

I use the same serving size for ALL of my cakes.  1X2X4 is actually a pretty generous serving of cake.  I've made some birthday cakes that are more elaborate than some wedding cakes, why should I make less on the birthday cake, if I were to use "party servings"?  :)

simplybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplybaker Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 11:51am
post #8 of 9

I use the same serving size for my cakes as well. 

Btw. check this article about Cake Pricing - I think it's worth reading! Here is the link: http://cakesdecor.com/entries/1717-basic-principles-of-pricing-your-cakes

inakay Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 10:23am
post #9 of 9

AThanks for all the comments. I appreciate your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%