Canon 5520 Help Please!!

Decorating By mmmcake0072 Updated 24 Nov 2014 , 5:12pm by icingimages

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 4:34am
post #1 of 7

AI scrimped and saved to splurge on a printer for edible images, they are quite priceyI Over the last 2 months I've played with it and loved ît... Until yesterday when i went to use it for an order, and of course it doesn't work... Argh! I purchased the canon 5520 printer and the black printer head is completely blocked.... I did a few cleaning on it and a few deep cleanings on it, but it is still not printing the black and in fact after spending hours of trying to fix it , it's now saying it's out of ink ( which it isn't).Has anyone has this issue? And if so I'd really appreciate your advice as to how to fix it. I'm so sad, i feel like I've just thrown away a ton of money :-(

6 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

I am sorry I didnt see this sooner as I would have loved to be able to help you.  If your printer sat for a while you probably have a small clog and need to clean it.  I am not sure what brand of ink you have, some brands are easier to clean than others.  Also you can hit the "ok" button for about 10 seconds and move beyond that message.  If you are a customer of ours you have access to our free troubleshooting documentation.  Did you ever get it resolved?

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 3:56am
post #3 of 7

AHi! You helped me when i was looking into purchasing the printer... You were a great help! As per your awesome advice I purchased the printer from canon Canada and then purchased the inks from your supplier out of British Columbia. I don't think i then qualify for your troubleshooting :-(

I did in fact finally get it to work. I just kept setting it to clean itself. Got frustrated because it just would not unclog. Two days later ( of course when i no longer needed to use it) i thought I'd give it another try and of course the thing worked again. Go figure! I was super disappointed to find that i had purchased the printer where you cannot remove the print head to clean it. I purchased the cleaner as well, but that is useless now. Just happy to have gotten it to work. I do have another quick question though.... Is just doing a test print once a week enough to keep it from clogging again? Or do i have to print something more substantial? Thank you for your help!!

kimbolisous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbolisous Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 7

I purchased same canon as you and I am having trouble with the color red, my image looks pink I have tried different settings  and this is brand new right out of box. I have contacted seller and they made some suggestions but that did not work either. I am returning mine hope to find a better one. good luck with yours and your right they are expensive.

icingimages Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 7

You can remove the printhead on all Canons.  Just open the cover, let the carriage come the center and then unplugit with out turning it off.  Slide the carriage to the right just a little bit. You will notice a indentation in the opening of the printer.  Remove the cartridges and then grab on to the printhead release which is right in front of the carriage and pull forward.  You have to pull hard do the tight tension.  If you can't figure it out, contact [email protected] and they will send you instructions.

Also, regarding once a week, you can print anything on regular paper so if you have something normal to print, print that so you have no waste.  My concern with printing a nozzle check is that it sometimes runs a cleaning cycle on its own and can waste ink.

I hope this helps!

Have you tried DECOgel yet? It's awesome!!!

God Bless

KrystalsKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrystalsKitchen Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 7

AHello i need some help i have this model also. My images are not to vibrant they look kinda dull. What can i do? Its a brand new out of the box printer. Help!

icingimages Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 7

Congratulations!!!  If you are using our inks, then you want to have the proper settings.  Make sure that the paper type is set to Matte with standard quality.  If you received our printer, then it came with a CD with all the setup documents, troubleshooting etc!! Lots of good info!

You can always contact our office directly at 540 869 5511540 869 5511 or [email protected]

Happy Printing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%