First Tiered Cake!!

Decorating By Jules139 Updated 10 Oct 2014 , 7:50pm by dkltll

Jules139 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jules139 Posted 10 Oct 2014 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 3

Hello all!!  This is my first post, but I have been quietly lurking here for a while and have learned so much.  I am a home baker that is making my first 3, or potentially 4 tier cake for my in-laws 50th anniversary party.  I have all sorts of dumb questions I am hoping to get a little help with? 

This is was my initial plan:

6” 9” 12” tiers
Cake:  French vanilla recipe by FromScratchSF
Filling: Raspberry filling that doesn’t bleed from this site
Icing:  White chocolate swiss meringue buttercream
Decorations:  Ribbon (to be coated with pam/shortening or backed with packing tape)
                         Gumpaste peonies from Etsy

I got an Agbay cake leveler and I can’t believe how much easier it is to torte my cakes!!  I will be using the SPS system for stacking.  Now that I have that out of the way….

There are going to be more people attending than we thought.  It now looks like there will be ~110 guests.  I looked at the Wilton chart but the pieces seem really small and I was thinking of using Earlene's chart instead but either way I would either need an extra cake in the kitchen or need to add another tier and go with 12, 10, 8, 6.  Is it absolutely nuts to make 4 tiers on my first stacked cake?  And I did quite a bit of searching but couldn't find an actual diagram for Earlene's to give to the venue, does anyone have one they would be willing to share?  

Thanks so much and any comments/advice is much appreciated!!

2 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 10 Oct 2014 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 3

Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts.

And, as my high school woodshop teacher put it, the only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked.

I can offer you encouragement, but little practical advice, given that I've never done a layer cake, much less a tiered one. I will say, though, that putting anything in contact with your frosting that isn't rated as safe for food-contact runs a risk of leaching something nasty into it.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 10 Oct 2014 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 3

Here ya' go, HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%