Shipping Sugar Cookies?

Baking By TheItalianBaker Updated 7 Oct 2014 , 2:19pm by ypierce82

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 10

Hi!!

I want to ship some mini sugar cookies to my family, so it would be California, Texas and Colorado.

Should I go with Ups, FedEx or a normal Post Office?

advices? best results?

thanks

9 replies
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 10

Hi!  As long as you don't include anything super perishable, I'd go with Priority Mail.  I do that with choco chip and mini brownies as well as sugar cookies.  I send Priority Mail to Arizona from NY on a regular basis (my niece and nephew call me Aunt Cookie!) - it's guaranteed 2-3 days but often is sooner.  And when I Priority Mail to anywhere else in NY from NY it almost always arrives next day - for a way more attractive price!!!

Good Luck,

T

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 10

I've shipped cookies using UPS and the USPS. The only thing that I did not like with UPS was that it was almost double the price of shipping with USPS, which cost me about 6-8.00 depending on where its going. I shipped a couple of test boxes with USPS and found that the one that I had marked FRAGILE on, most of the cookies in that box were broken, even though they bubble wrapped, in a smaller box with packing peanuts. The one that I didn't mark anything on, arrived in perfect condition. Nothing was broken when I used UPS. It would just really be a matter of how much you want to spend to ship. It cost me 17.00 to ship to my brother in Az using UPS, but only 8 using USPS.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 10

usps all the way -- this is funny -- sort of -- so i got this box of goodies all ready for my son back when he was away at school -- over night shipping costs like forty bucks -- was ups or fedex -- and it never left memphis for a few days --  it rarely snows in memphis -- like once every 6-8 years -- but it snowed the day i shipped that box of cookies --  :lol: what am i laughing for ? :-D

but i ship cookies usps all the time -- it's really really fast -- i don't want to ship on thursday fri sat or sun -- i hit it monday tues or wed so the box won't be held up over the weekend somewhere  --

i think tracking cookie packages is a big hoot -- i love it -- almost more fun than making the cookies --

for packaging -- i put two cookies together bottom to bottom and wrap them in plastic wrap -- you want to to be sure the package can be jiggled dropped and sat on without the cookies moving or getting crushed inside --

i just shipped my bro some beagle puppy cookies for his birthday -- arrived in perfect time

best shipping to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 10

oh and don't forget about the one price -- if it fits it ships boxes with usps

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 10

Ypierce82

You are ALSO shipping to your brother in AZ!?!  What are you my sister LOL!  I know you are not because my sisters do not ship cookies to anyone!

I have not had a breakage problem with the post office - I like to use those Ziplock plastic containers and pack it tight in a USPS box for less moving around.

T

ypierce82 Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresaf 

Ypierce82

You are ALSO shipping to your brother in AZ!?!  What are you my sister LOL!  I know you are not because my sisters do not ship cookies to anyone!

I have not had a breakage problem with the post office - I like to use those Ziplock plastic containers and pack it tight in a USPS box for less moving around.

T

Lol! I don't have any sister's....wish I did :) After the first batch was broken, I had to change the way that I was packaging them. So what I do now is add my bubble wrap to my smaller box, I make bubble wrap sleeves for each cookie, throw in my packing peanuts, and stuff the top and sides with paper bags. I throw it, I drop it, I shake it. If the cookies don't jiggle, I tape it up. The funny thing is my husband is a driver for UPS and I've only used them to ship once, but don't tell him that :-D

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 10

thank you everybody! I'll try to ship with priority mail and see what happens!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 2:04am
post #9 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ypierce82 

I've shipped cookies using UPS and the USPS. The only thing that I did not like with UPS was that it was almost double the price of shipping with USPS, which cost me about 6-8.00 depending on where its going. I shipped a couple of test boxes with USPS and found that the one that I had marked FRAGILE on, most of the cookies in that box were broken, even though they bubble wrapped, in a smaller box with packing peanuts. The one that I didn't mark anything on, arrived in perfect condition. Nothing was broken when I used UPS. It would just really be a matter of how much you want to spend to ship. It cost me 17.00 to ship to my brother in Az using UPS, but only 8 using USPS.

@ypierce82  sometimes It seems that they take the "fragile" label as a dare!  

ypierce82 Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

@ypierce82  sometimes It seems that they take the "fragile" label as a dare!  

Yes, it does, and unfortunately for my poor cookies...it never ends well so I just stopped putting it on there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%