Trouble With Getting My Scratch Cakes To Rise

Decorating By kakesalakim Updated 3 Oct 2014 , 1:40am by kakesalakim

kakesalakim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesalakim Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 2:51am
post #1 of 9

AIt seems that I've been having trouble getting my cakes to rise, even when adding the baking soda and/or baking powder and using cake flour. Is this normal of scratch cakes? Is there any way I can get them to rise more?

8 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 4:19am
post #2 of 9

You may have a bad batch of baking powder that is possibly out of date. I would buy another can of baking powder just to see if maybe that could be an issue. Other than that, I would have no idea what would cause that. I make scratch cakes all the time and never have an issue with them not rising. Hopefully, someone here more knowledgeable will be able to help you. Good luck!

kakesalakim Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 11:04am
post #3 of 9

AI never even thought about that! I went out and bought fresh BP and BS after I read your comment so hopefully that helps. Thank so much and I'll let you know how that worked out.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakesalakim 

It seems that I've been having trouble getting my cakes to rise, even when adding the baking soda and/or baking powder and using cake flour. Is this normal of scratch cakes? Is there any way I can get them to rise more?

@kakesalakim my scratch cakes always are denser and rise less then the commercial box mixes.  I have two ice cream scoops for cupcake batter.  One for scratch cupcakes, and one slightly smaller one for box mix & modified box mix cuppies.

I agree with @remnant3333 and also check my dates on baking powder.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 9

It could also be your recipe, or you might not be mixing the batter the right way. If you're using the creaming method where you cream the butter and sugar, let it go longer than you think you should. That can make a huge difference in the final quality of your cake.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 11:12am
post #6 of 9

Apart from checking your BP/BS, and what costumeczar said, also don't beat the mixture for too long after you have added the flour - otherwise all the air you beat in when creaming will beat straight out after flour is added. Stirring is the way to go to add flour/leavener - v. low speed on a stand mixer - and maybe 10-20seconds at a higher speed to finish off. Don't beat it for any longer than that. 

kakesalakim Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 3:25am
post #7 of 9

AThanks a lot. I definitely don't mix it too long. I could try beating the creaming mixture even longer than usual. I'm thinking it may have been the baking powder.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakesalakim 

Thanks a lot. I definitely don't mix it too long. I could try beating the creaming mixture even longer than usual. ...........

@kakesalakim  you're going to think that I'm joking here, however.......

I lost track of time while making a creamed cake batter a few years ago with good results.  The butter and sugar were creaming, and normally recipes say to do this for about 2 minutes or so.

I ended up creaming for about 6 minutes and was prepared for a disasterous cake.

It ended up being very soft and light, it was a scratch pound cake, and it was delicious.  So now I cream everything for at least 5 minutes.

kakesalakim Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

AI made my cakes today with FRESH baking powder and I beat the heck out of my creaming mixture... Wonderful results! Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%