A "different" Smbc

Baking By KathleenC Updated 18 Sep 2014 , 1:53am by Cevamal

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 17 Sep 2014 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 9

I just tried a new way of making Swiss "Meringue" Buttercream.  I came across this blog purely by accident and thought it would be worth a shot.  (those are air quotes around the word meringue, because you don't actually make actual meringue)

www.cakepaperparty.com/2014/04/foolproof-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

I used the same ingredient quantities I use when I make Sweetapolita's SMBC (my usual), except I used the vanilla quantity suggested in the blog (double my norm).

It was good!

I'm feeling disloyal.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else has tried it, and if so...your thoughts?

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2014 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 9

oh that's really cool! i like it -- makes a lot of sense for sure -- i especially like the 'can be stored frozen' part --

brava to the author and thanks for sharing

KathleenC Posted 17 Sep 2014 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, the way she explained the science of it all did make a lot of sense.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It might just become my usual method now.  :) 

I did make a bit of an error when I made it, though.  I cooked the egg and sugar mixture as usual, then put it in the fridge overnight.  When I went to make the icing (had my butter all creamed and ready), the sugar had separated and coated the bottom of the bowl and I ended up having to reheat it all and let it cool again.  This time I let it cool in the freezer, stirring it every so often so the sugar wouldn't separate again.  Once it was cool enough, I made the icing.

I used the ingredient quantities I usually use and it seemed to make a similar amount.  It was really smooth, and tasted like regular SMBC.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 17 Sep 2014 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 9

AMy thoughts: http://www.cakecentral.com/t/777294/has-anyone Sounds like we had close to same feelings on finished product compared to traditional.

KathleenC Posted 17 Sep 2014 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rfisher 

My thoughts: http://www.cakecentral.com/t/777294/has-anyone
Sounds like we had close to same feelings on finished product compared to traditional.

Yes, I guess we did.  :)

I have always used cartoned egg whites, with no issue.  (My idea of separating eggs is putting them in different parts of the kitchen...otherwise I'm no good at it)  I also don't/didn't add anything else, other than one more tablespoon of vanilla, as Summer suggested in her recipe.  I haven't frozen hers, but have frozen traditional with no problem, so I suspect hers will be the same.

I'm doing another cake for my grandson's birthday next week, so am going to try hers again for that.

KathleenC Posted 17 Sep 2014 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 9

And I do LOVE the fact that you don't have to sanitize every little utensil/bowl/beater with lemon juice before starting.  :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2014 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 9

i usually trusted my equipment to be oil free -- code for too lazy to do extra sanitizing --

but a funny story -- working in bakeries is quite different than working from home -- equipment that would have long been discarded from a home kitchen is used year after year in a working bakery -- so i was needing some royal icing and the only available mixing bowl had a generous hole in it but i got it all cleaned up -- and i said, 'what about this big hole' and the chick put a big blob of shortening over it -- for mixing royal icing :lol: so i had to go wash the dang thing all over again-- hahahaha -- probably why i don't extra sanitize

:-D

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 1:50am
post #8 of 9

AThat's awesome and makes perfect sense. I made SMBC recently for the first time and was puzzling over spending all the effort to whip air into it just to completely deflate it a minute later.

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 1:53am
post #9 of 9

AI've never sanitized for whipping egg whites. If it's clean enough to be in the cabinet it's clean enough. Never been a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%