Gold "paint" On Buttercream - My First Time Asking For Help....but I Need It.

Decorating By ForSweetsSake Updated 16 Sep 2014 , 12:09am by ForSweetsSake

ForSweetsSake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ForSweetsSake Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 12

This is the cake I am needing to make...but the bride has requested buttercream instead of fondant.  Any input as to what material to use and how to brush it onto buttercream?  I'm in the States. Please and thank you!

glamorous-metallic-wedding-cakes.jpg 

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 12

AI'm on my phone but I can't open the link -- might just be me but usually I can open them -- I'll go to a computer shortly

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 1:47am
post #3 of 12

What you've provided is not a viable link.  I google searched it but too many cakes come up.  Try again.

ForSweetsSake Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 12

-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 12

ok good -- we got the picture now --

hmm it has a nubbly texture that makes me question how they did that but the not consistent brushiness of it really strikes  me as real gold foil or it could be gold luster dust of some kind either brushed on dry or you can make a paint out of it with vodka or lemon extract --

if you get a gold dust you want to get one that is edible -- there are a lot that are non-toxic and i would avoid those since it's right on the cake -- ok to use for example on gum paste flowers or bows that will not be eaten

i think this is edible and there's a valuable video there too:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/antique-gold-crystallized-pearl-crystal-color-dust-p-22577.html

real gold leaf:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006GSQYK/?tag=cakecentral-20+gold+leaf+sheets

and i have used this on smbc no problem --so you would want to apply it to abc (powdered sugar icing -- american buttercream) before it crusts

-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 12

so i guess the texture was on the fondant before they applied the gold?

maybenot Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 12

I have no idea what that texture might be, especially if it's deliberate..............maybe sanding sugar mixed in with edible luster and painted on?  If I wanted to do it, that's what I'd use for some experiments.

ForSweetsSake Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 12

I agree it looks like something added to edible luster dust to give it dimension/texture.  I don't think gold foil could be made to look like this.  It's very sparkly and "chunky" looking.  Hmmm.

ForSweetsSake Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 12:03am
post #9 of 12

Honestly, I suspect they used a non-edible product such as gold star dust and made a really really thick paste with it, then brushed.  I see the non-edibles being used a LOT on the actual cake around here. My challenge gets to be making an edible look-alike.  

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 12:14am
post #10 of 12

they used a gold disco dust with highlighter, I would imagine. Neither are edible. But some people don't care since they are non-toxic. I have painted gold dust with everclear on chilled IMBC and it worked surprisingly well. But you won't get the glitter without, well...glitter. 

maybenot Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 12:49am
post #11 of 12

Well, give my suggestion a try on a scrap piece of fondant.  It IS edible..............completely.

ForSweetsSake Posted 16 Sep 2014 , 12:09am
post #12 of 12

Will do.....thanks everyone!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%