Lace Molds Lesson Learned

Decorating By sugarflorist Updated 2 Sep 2014 , 11:29am by Crazy-Gray

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 11:00am
post #1 of 2

I have been spending money on ebay stocking up on lace small molds  but have been disappointed because when i have used them they just wont release the lace. at first i thought it was me and my lack of experience making a hash of it. So i decided to buy a Claire bowman lace mat because it was on sale and had no problems using it. So i guess you get what you pay for. Now i am left with £60 worth of tacky molds that are useless - i cant bring myself sell them on - it just feels wrong! Now that i have experience with the good and the bad i will be more choosy in the products i choose from now on.

I also invested in my first on lay mat from marvelous molds but had problems finding a UK supplier so again I shopped on ebay but when it arrived it did not look right and would not perform according to the tutorials- so i emailed the company with pictures to find it was a fake product. i was gutted.

Being a pattern designer i get angry when people infringe copy right and steal intellectual property. The mat was of no use to me so i offered to supply Marvelous molds with the fake product and the details of the company here in the UK who are manufacturing them. In return marvelous molds offered to replace it for me free of charge. I have not experienced this level of customer service here in the UK - i was well chuffed not to loose my money.

I am usually a savvy shopper and and on this occasion i thought i had been really careful. The ebay seller i bought from is well established and has great feed back so i had no reason to question her products. the pictures were right too. She even has a copy right  license statement that looks official but if you ask yourself what does that mean - it is just rubbish designed to catch people out. I obviously can't post her details on here but if your thinking about buying MM products on ebay I am happy to send a PM to anyone that asks so that you can avoid getting caught out. I did leave leave negative feedback but Ebay removed it because they said it was not relevant to the customer/seller experience.  

1 reply
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 11:29am
post #2 of 2

AMe too :(

I have a pile of pants moulds from ebay.... I so wish you could melt the silicone and re-use it!

I have however found that you can use the backs of these terrible moulds to make thin sheets of lace 'paper'- great for edible sweet wrappers- I am just today finishing a giant Lindt sweet with the wrapper made like this and it's worked very well! I bet you could even stamp out shapes from it with paper stamps (cutters do not work!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%