Chevron On A Topsy Turvy Tiered Cake?

Decorating By FrostedMoon Updated 3 Sep 2014 , 2:19am by FrostedMoon

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 2:49am
post #1 of 8

Hi!

I have a customer asking for a 2 tiered topsy turvy cake.  She wants one tier to have polka dots and the other to have chevron stripes.  I'm struggling with that as I would want the chevron stripes to be completely even, but on a topsy turvy there would be more stripes on one side than another.  I guess I could do the chevron stripes to match the the angle of the tier, but it is going against my need for balance in designs!  What would you do?

Thanks!

7 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 4:50am
post #2 of 8

ACould you start/match the chevron with the top of the tier, and then trim the lower chevrons to allow for the angle of the tier? I haven't sketched it but it might work.

FrostedMoon Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 8

That is what I am thinking, but I still don't love the idea.  The client sent me a picture of chevron on a straight tier, so I'm thinking she wasn't really aware of how it would look different on a topsy turvy.  Currently trying to convince her to either do a different pattern on a topsy turvy or do chevron on a straight cake.  Thanks for the input!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 8

I think it would hard to make that look good. Hopefully you can convince her otherwise!

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 8

maybe just do a band of chevron across the middle?  like three stripes of it?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 8

AI just googled pictures of it, you're right, it looks terrible! Definitely talk her out of it. Maybe suggest vertical stripes instead, they enhance the topsy turvy look, and would look good with the spotty tier.

I think even erin2345's idea of just a band of chevron would be better than the whole tier done that way, but I still think it would look not right.

Change that client's mind.....

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, I think vertical stripes would look much better.

Perhaps make sure she doesn't want this kind of chevron though... http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/9/2/chevron-one-wrecked.html

FrostedMoon Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 2:19am
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Perhaps make sure she doesn't want this kind of chevron though... http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/9/2/chevron-one-wrecked.html

Now THAT I could do on a topsy turvy!!  :-D  

Thankfully she is scrapping the idea of a topsy turvy and seems to be very open to my design ideas. Yay! Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%