Glitter Swirls On Cake Pops

Decorating By missvicks05 Updated 7 Jan 2015 , 10:54am by Jedi Knight

missvicks05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missvicks05 Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 15

AI have an order for cake pops to have gold glitter swirls on them. From my past experience in making cake pops, swirls and any kind of sprinkles are my enemy and become a giant mess. I saw this picture and the swirls are perfect. Does anyone know what they used for their glitter swirls? And where I can buy it. Appreciate any feedback.

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3277589/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

14 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 15

Well, she's using inedible plastic disco dust to get those swirls, so nobody can actually eat those cake pops, anyway......................

missvicks05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missvicks05 Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 15

But why would she make cake pops that are inedible? She has many other cake pops featured on her instagram with these glitter swirls so I'm assuming it has to be edible. 

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 15

Ahttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ah2QwofY_Ms

You can make edible glitter....but the cake pops you've shown look like they might and im using the word might have disco dust on them...that's not suppose to be eaten but alot of bakers either dont realize this or they simply figure its such a small amount being used that its ok....its quite a debate on here...

maybenot Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 2:27am
post #5 of 15

Yep, I looked at her work.  It's disco dust and it's plastic and it's not for consumption.

Maybe she doesn't know, maybe she doesn't care, maybe her clients don't know, maybe her clients don't care.

I don't understand any "debate" about covering food with plastic grit just so it's pretty.  If General Mills, or Betty Crocker, or Dunkin' Donuts tried that, they'd be drowning in lawsuits and out of business in a week.

Superfine/caster sugar can be dyed with a dab of gel/paste color. Roll that around in some EDIBLE luster dust [crystal colors pearl by sugarpaste.com, pristine powders from cakconnection.com, sterling pearls by thesugarart.com] and you've got a nice looking, completely edible product.  A bit more work, but much better than decorating food with scapbooking glitter...........................

JULY GRACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JULY GRACE Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 3:55am
post #6 of 15

hola soy de lima PERU  aqui venden polvos comestibles se llama grasa para chocolate asi que compras pones ese brillo dorado  en un recipiente pones alcohol se disuelto y pintas cada dibujo si deseas busca en youtube que yo  aprendí. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 6:12am
post #7 of 15

Here is a link to a class taught by Angie of Opopsbyangie. 

http://soflocakeandcandyexpo.com/sessions/blackwhite-half-half-cake-pops-with-disco-dust-trim-class/

get-attachment

Description of class:

Learn how to create a classic with this class, led by Angie (owner of “O” Pops by Angie). During this class, students will be hands on and learn how to decorate a cake pop half white, half black, with a trim of disco dust.

Required Materials:
Students must bring 6 pre-made cake pops on a stick.
One container of disco dust, in color of choice.    <-------------
Paint brush set.
A box to take your cake pops home.

maybenot Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 15

Great, just great.  So she now offers a CLASSES on how to contaminate food with plastic junk [e.g disco dust]......absolutely disgusting.

I'd love to take a class and spend the entire time challenging the choice to feed plastic craft glitter to people.  It would be worth the price of admission................Maybe I need a short vacation to Florida in April............

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 15

AI'll come with you, maybenot!

Non-toxic does not mean edible!

maybenot Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks, Jedi.

You can contact the Expo organizers and voice your displeasure at attendees being taught to coat food in plastic craft glitter.  I did.  I haven't gotten a response, yet, but I'll be following up.

Maybe, if enough people complain, they'll cancel the classes.  Maybe "Angie" will get the message to stop feeding people scrapbooking supplies.................

[email protected]

Jedi Knight Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 15

AWhat a great idea!! I'm going to do just that.

maybenot Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you sooooo much!  Please pass the info on.  This has to stop.

No matter what anyone says, there is just NO EXCUSE.

If I decorate a cake with play-doh, melted crayons, construction paper, and silly putty--it's non-toxic, too, but NO ONE SHOULD BE, or WOULD BE,  EATING IT!!

Jedi Knight Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 15

AExactly! Non-toxic does not mean edible.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 10:12am
post #14 of 15

There does seem to be an increasing number of edible glitters about now and they are getting more 'sparkly'.  Still a long way off the disco dust but maybe a tolerable replacement? x

Jedi Knight Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 10:54am
post #15 of 15

ARainbow dust has edible glitters that are nice and sparkly, but still a long way from the glittery-ness of the inedible glitters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%