Help!!! How Much Weight Will Pillars Hold?

Decorating By Delynn Updated 27 Jul 2014 , 1:09pm by Smckinney07

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 5:43am
post #1 of 3

SUPER NERVOUS because I've never made a cake like this before (super top-heavy).  I'd like to know how many pounds the Wilton "ROMAN COLUMN TIER SET" will hold.  VERY SOON, I have to make a 4 tier wedding cake (2 layer 8, 10, 12 & 1 layer 14" round) and have NO IDEA how heavy they will be when I ice them.  I only know that a 1 layer 16" sq. with icing weighed 10 Lbs. & a 2 layer 14" round weighed 12 Lbs.  ALL 4 of these tiers will be on TOP of the 18" top plate of this set, with a fountain underneath.  If I had to guess I think total cake weight might be 32-35 LBS.???  

Please somebody assure me the pillars will hold and no chance of the whole thing toppling over.  Besides supergluing the pieces together, does anyone have any helpful hints/tricks to keep everything as secure as possible?  Even wondering what's the best way to lift this entire stack to carefully set it on top of the pillar plate without it wobbling?    

I have NO IDEA how much a typical box mix cake weighs with or w/o icing.  Is there a chart of APPROX. weights?  

Thank you in advance for your quickly needed replies :)

2 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 5:49am
post #2 of 3

AIt will be fine..set up on sight though, and set up the cake at its final resting place. That's what those pillars are made to do, hold cake. Do you have access or have time to buy the bakery crafts system? The wilton pillars work ok, but they are a little wobbly. Bakery crafts pillars lock in place

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 3

ADon't the Wilton pillars have holes inside for dowells as well? I don't think I've ever used them, but as Morgan stated that's what they're designed to do. Personally, I'd be much more comfortable with a locking set as M suggested, like sps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%