Sample Recipes?

Baking By sweettia Updated 11 Jun 2014 , 8:55pm by sweettia

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 8

AI'm wanting to test a few different carrot cake recipes to pick the best one for my brothers birthday, but is there anyway to make them smaller batches to be just testers? I'm a hobby baker so don't know too much about adjusting recipes. TIA!

7 replies
craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 8

Just do basic division, I usually half my recipes. Is there something difficult in it, like an odd number of eggs that can't be halved, like 3?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 8

The easy way is to divide by eggs is by weight.

weighing ingredients makes recipe alterations easier.

sweettia Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 8

AThe ones I see are in number of eggs or cups of the other ingredients, so I'm not sure how to use weight for the egg part. Any tips would great.

One of them asks for 2 eggs and then 1 egg white so I got a but confused there.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 8

I convert all recipes to weight, it makes prep work faster, and you don't have as much of a mess to clean up. 

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 8

AFor large Australian eggs, I use an approximation of a 50g egg being 30g white and 20g yolk, bu you might need to weigh some of the eggs you use and take an average.

Of course you probably won't use grams for weight....but again, it's just a simple calculation. You can even use an online converter if you're freaked out by a calculator.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 8

my scale measures grams and lbs & ozs.  so I can pretty much try out any recipe.:P

but the best advice I can give to anyone trying out new recipes is to try them EXACTLY as written.

Then you may make adjustments, double the recipe, cut down the recipe, add or subtract amounts of ingredients, or substitute ingredients.

sweettia Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 8

AThanks for all the advice! I'll have to get a newer scale instead of my baby one for future use! I'l try converting my recipes to weight. I feel like that'll be a more constant cake too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%