Charge For This Wedding Cake ...

Business By chilicat Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 3:37pm by shelly102

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 5:46pm
post #31 of 36

AI hate excuses. If I mess up I have no problem accepting faults for doing something wrong. All criticism is constructive! I prefer the blunt to the sugar coated but I guess that's just me lol

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 7:31pm
post #32 of 36

ASome people just want to be patted on the head and told they're doing ok, and not address anything actually important. Doesn't help them any, but it makes the head patter feel like a hero against the big bad bullies who actually push the poster to do some work themselves, and learn new things. You know, standard operating procedure around these parts. (Insert rolling eyes here)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 7:32pm
post #33 of 36

AActually that's not so true anymore, I see more people speaking up and offering valid help, not fearing possible attacks from others.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 8:14pm
post #34 of 36

Well said Sweettia.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 2:34pm
post #35 of 36

AI haven't read all the posts, so sorry if this has been covered: You wote that the tiers will be 6", 8" and 12" round. According to Wilton cutting guide that will serve 92 people - almost double what the bride needs. If the couple is wanting to save the top tier (12 servings) that still leaves enough for 80 guests to be served.

A 6", 8" and 10" round serves 72 - still more than needed but if you take out 12 for the top tier to be saved that is 60 servings left for guests. Much closer to the required amount of servings.

Personally, I charge $4/serving for buttercream iced cakes. The dots are not something I would charge extra for. Those are super easy to do. Same goes for the ribbon. Now, for the flowers I would charge $12 each.

So 72 x 4 = $288 + 24 (flowers) = $312

You might want to look into purchasing Cake Boss software. Several members on Cake Central use it (including myself). It helps with pricing cakes because it keeps track of recipe costs, material costs, hourly rate...

shelly102 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly102 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:37pm
post #36 of 36

Your price is good. Alot depends on your area. I live in a rural area and charge $2.50 per serving to start for buttercream. $3.00 for fondant. Check around and find out what other bakeries charge and base it off that.  And then I would have to charge extra for the flowers. When I was starting out I didn't charge as much, as I got better I charged more. It may not be the way some would do it but that is what worked in my area. And I keep very busy. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%