Wiring Spray Tips

Decorating By cazza1 Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 7:46am by winniemog

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 4:58am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone offer me any tips on wiring flowers in to sprays.  I really struggle with it and the tape ends up far too thick for my liking. Any help greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance.

5 replies
petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 8:27am
post #2 of 6

Cazza, I've heard of people cutting their floral tape in half keeps you from having excess tape on the wires. I say I've heard because I haven't made a spray yet!

cazza1 Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 11:47am
post #3 of 6

I always cut my tape in half and it still ends up thick.  I've tried cutting smaller but then I can't seem to handle the tape at all.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 11:59am
post #4 of 6

I use a quarter width tape unless I want the stem to be thicker . I use stemtex not parafilm. I start down the stem a bit then push it to the base of what I am taping. I stretch it quite tight as a tape down.  

When wiring a spray together, start with your best bud and have a clear idea of where your centre is and wire either side of this , you can adjust the flowers into position easier if you don't cross your taping over.  Leave yourself plenty of room when wiring , then you have more scope to adjust your flowers , I use craft tweezers to adjust them. If you have any gaps you can always add in an extra flower on a long stem to fill them . 

I can show you what I mean when we meet next year if that is as clear as mud and you are still having trouble. 

cazza1 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:32am
post #5 of 6

Thanks Chelle.  I will try cutting the stemtex smaller.  Pity I have wired all the bougainvillia already.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:46am
post #6 of 6

AI use the half width tape too, and I now tend to tape more loosely - by this I mean that when I tape a new flower to my spray I only wrap the tape around a few times (firmly) to the base of the stem, so the tape isn't touching the previous bit of tape - more open like a spiral water slide. Then the final tape for the spray I make sure to completely cover all the wires neatly. This seems to reduce the bulk of tape a lot. BUT some sprays with a lot of flowers are just bulky, there doesn't seem to be anyway around it,

Reading this post I realise it makes no sense in words, it's easier to show! Next time you're in melbourne, stop by.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%