Cricut Cake - Worth It?

Business By sarascakecreations Updated 18 May 2014 , 1:01am by DeliciousDesserts

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 16 May 2014 , 2:57am
post #1 of 11

Hello,

A local cake shop is having a sale and one thing they are selling is a used cricut cake. The woman claims she is not tech savy therefore it is just collecting dust. So question is do you have one and is it useful? Do you use it often and does it do a good job? Or do you find it's a waste of time and too collects dust in your place? I work out of home and do not have a storefront if that helps and I make anywhere from 1-4 cakes per week, cupcakes, cookies, etc. Next question, I believe they sell for something like $200 so how much should I pay used?

Any insight or thoughts would be helpful.

Sara

10 replies
pc2420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pc2420 Posted 16 May 2014 , 5:01am
post #2 of 11

AI bought one last year and used once .. For the job I needed worked great , but is collecting dust now .. And cartridges with different and more intricate designs are so expensive ...:-( I did get it brand new on sale for $99 so anything more then $50 or 60 should be to much.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 16 May 2014 , 6:39am
post #3 of 11

You can buy digital images through Cricut Craft Room if you do not want to buy entire cartridges but you will only have access to them when you have access to the internet.

I bought a cricut cake because I had a pile of cartridges from papercrafting already and had some money burning a hole in my pocket.  I use it once or twice a year.  It does lovely lettering if you have the cartridges but I do not do a lot of  lettering as I am a hobby baker. 

If you do not already own cartridges I personally would not buy one but would look at the silouette or one of the others that you can make SVGs for.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 May 2014 , 11:49am
post #4 of 11

AI recommend spending the money on a Silhoutte. It doesn't require cartridges.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 16 May 2014 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 11

I don't personally have one, but a good caker friend and she did buy when when they still sold them (think they stopped making new ones, if I'm not mistaken). Anyways, its awful they are very hard to use..hard to get the constancy of the fondant/gum paste right. hard to roll the exact right thickness, not to mention how hard it is to get the darn thing to cut properly, it catches really easily and will quickly ruin your whole design.

If you get it for say $40-$50 sure it might be worth it for the few designs you get out of it...its a very temperamental machine. And my guess is that's what the owner is talking about when she says technically inclined, she's really saying that the thing doesn't work well and she doesn't know why. 

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 May 2014 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 11

I've had absolutely no problem using it.  If you prepare your fondant/gumpaste correctly it cuts perfectly.  If people are having problems they are using the wrogn medium or not preparing it properly.  There is a learning curve.

VintageBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VintageBaker Posted 16 May 2014 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 11

I bought one 2 years ago at big lots I've had nothing but trouble with it! its sitting in a corner i could never figure it out 

Phaedramax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phaedramax Posted 17 May 2014 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 11

Carrie Bigger ( I think her name is ) see her on you tube she  shows you how to use and gives you her recipe that works great.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 May 2014 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 11

Also Linda McClure's website (she taught Carrie).

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 May 2014 , 12:08am
post #10 of 11

I purchased the Silhouette last year and Linda McClure's book and cutter.  I just have not had the time to experiment with it.  I am sure that it would make cakes with great details and very affordable.  I am just not sure that I am going to keep it. 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 May 2014 , 1:01am
post #11 of 11

A[@]LKing12[/@] I never took the time to figure out how to so the gumpaste. I should. Instead, I use the edible electronic cutter sheets from [@]icingimages[/@].

It makes everything Very easy. They even have some awesome glitter sheets. Pearl is the best! The silver is almost black and so is the dark gold. The yellow gold is Very gold. Get the pearl and you can print on them with an edible printer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%