Using Melted Ice Cream

Baking By SimplyIcedCC Updated 16 May 2014 , 12:03am by MimiFix

SimplyIcedCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIcedCC Posted 15 May 2014 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 6

AHelllloo all! :) I was thinking of making chocolate cupcakes with melted vanilla ice cream in it. So, instead of using water I would use the ice cream. Has anybody done this before? Is it good? Just looking for ideas! Thanks!

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 May 2014 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 6

Can't say I have tried that. Just out of curiosity, why would you want to try it? Do you not like how the cake tastes the usual way?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2014 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 6

yes it's great-- it's in the cake mix dr book--the ice cream replaces the fat too-- so if you're using a recipe you can just add eggs and the melted ice cream and no fat but all the other ingredients--

you can make some killer combinations--

i used this in a classic though --chocolate cake w melted chocolate ice cream combo for one layer in a tier where the other layer was a brownie bottom cheesecake--because the ice cream cake layer was heavier and would hold up to the cheesecake-- geez i'm making myself hungry--it's not as heavy as a pound cake--it's denser than a regular cake though in a great way--

be mindful that some pints of ice cream have more air and the cake mix dr advised to add in milk or cream if the pint of ice cream is short--but with today's shorter cake mixes--idk you do the math or use a recipe

best to you

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 May 2014 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 6

It's just my opinion, however milk or cream in a chocolate cake batter seems to 'dull' the chocolate flavor.

Coffee or water seems to brighten the chocolate.

(not the case in ganache made with real chocolate and cream of course)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2014 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

It's just my opinion, however milk or cream in a chocolate cake batter seems to 'dull' the chocolate flavor.

Coffee or water seems to brighten the chocolate.

(not the case in ganache made with real chocolate and cream of course)

you are right i do agree w/you--so long as the pint melts into 16 oz it's a non issue --i love coffee in my choco too

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 May 2014 , 12:03am
post #6 of 6

Just an FYI - using ice cream instead of water increases your product cost if you are baking to sell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%