Anyone Recognize What Cutter This Is?

Decorating By howsweet Updated 8 May 2014 , 6:47pm by -K8memphis

howsweet Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 25

It might be something cut from a Silhouette or something? Or is it a cutter?

 

24 replies
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 25

i think they might be paper--they are stuck on with pins--could be made with a daisy cutter then cut out each petal tip--the one star type with the little sticks coming out between the points is idk--but the rest could be made up pretty easy--the one with the five 'petals' could be same method as the first one i mentioned--a blossom with cut outs--but it is pretty precise so it's maybe done on a cutter--but it really looks like paper to me--maybe not but

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 25

see the one in the top left corner--see the pin (horrors)

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 25

the stars are easy i guess if you have the sizes but the two little flowers centers by the red gingham on the top tier -- i've not seen  cutters like that--welll paper cutters yes but not cake/fondant cutters

fondantslinger Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 25

K8 Maybe right....looks like one of those Martha Stewart new cutters....My first take was a small daisy clipped out a bit. Cake looks pretty good if for a Memorial Day theme tho..........

howsweet Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 25

Thanks, K8.  I explained to the customer that this was probably just for a photo shoot because of the pins. And like you said, I think they're probably paper. Why bother with something edible for a photo shoot, right?

 

The customer has now said something similar would be ok.

 

Fondant slinger that's brilliant! I forgot about using punches. I haven't found the exact one, but found a couple that might work. Ugh, but they're like $20 each and I'd not likely use them again. She's probably not going to want to pay for that.

MBalaska Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 25

It looks like paper cut outs.

as you wish Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 25

AI was thinking paper punches, too! And while I was off searching them you pretty much worked it out. :) The two most difficult shapes to find (I think) are a Martha Stewart "cornflower" punch and a Martha Stewart "radiant star" punch. They are pricey but you might be able to find them cheaper used somewhere, maybe? And edible paper, obviously. :)

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 25

just an aside here @ fondantslinger, i love your name--serious sweet perfection that

fondantslinger Posted 6 May 2014 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 25

howsweet,

everybody is getting into the act of making cakes now, so competition is getting tough so that's why all the suppliers are jacking up their prices as well as I guess their manufacturer's jack up theirs........try different bakery supply places........Shawna at McGreevy Cakes sells great products, she may have some, or Sweet Wise or Global Sugar Arts to name a few...........go to a Hobby Lobby or Michaels, look around for your inspiration, that's what I do.......I use PVC pipe from Home Depot, I use templates from architectural stores or online.....stamp embossers from craft stores......just make sure everything is kept only for cakes & kept super clean.....not all decorations are meant to be eaten anyway..it's for elaborate embellishing to make it stand out. Another thing I do is find pictures (regular photos, from magazines etc) & I lay a piece of velium or parchment over it & trace the designs with SugarVeil, let it dry & wa-la instant imaginative design.....I usually have cake & designs on my mind 24/7..it's really scarry!!!!!! lol

fondantslinger Posted 6 May 2014 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 25

Thanks for the kind words K8...Memphis huh?   I'm  in Middle TN

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by fondantslinger 
 

Thanks for the kind words K8...Memphis huh?   I'm  in Middle TN

 

cool -- do you do anything with the tn ices group? the cakers that come from memphis to your area for that --well nashville area for the big demos with several days of classes are my cake buddies but i don't get out there with them--anyhow--

 

10 oh see hans gotta stick together--welcome to the board

fondantslinger Posted 6 May 2014 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

 

cool -- do you do anything with the tn ices group? the cakers that come from memphis to your area for that --well nashville area for the big demos with several days of classes are my cake buddies but i don't get out there with them--anyhow--

 

10 oh see hans gotta stick together--welcome to the board

I get the mag & all as a member but haven't made a show or any classes.hope to do a Pink Bridal Show some day soon tho........hope to get involved with IcingSmiles as well........just so darn busy right now especially with homestead, have a hobby farm & lots of rescues, so I split hairs for time.....& 2015 wedding's are coming in & I'm trying to get a dummy cake done for a magazine, running short on time tho......somedays I feel lucky to get to the bathroom...lol!

You do a lot of cakes out there in Memphis?  you in tn all your life?

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 25

my career spans four decades, fs--yes i've done boatloads of baking and caking--i'm retired now due to health reasons--but i still pop out a cake or two--i teach--no, not in tn all my life just the past 'bout 25 years--why, you detected my midwestern accent -- hahaha -- originally from chicago area--nw indiana --

 

but heads up when those classes come to your part of this matchstick called tennessee--'cause they get the big names and they tell me it's pretty cool--memphis is closer to little rock so i have gone that direction for a coupla things once upon a time--got a bronwen webber class--

 

you sound nice & busy--i'll come help yah pull weeds or something on your farm 

fondantslinger Posted 7 May 2014 , 12:56am
post #15 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

my career spans four decades, fs--yes i've done boatloads of baking and caking--i'm retired now due to health reasons--but i still pop out a cake or two--i teach--no, not in tn all my life just the past 'bout 25 years--why, you detected my midwestern accent -- hahaha -- originally from chicago area--nw indiana --

 

but heads up when those classes come to your part of this matchstick called tennessee--'cause they get the big names and they tell me it's pretty cool--memphis is closer to little rock so i have gone that direction for a coupla things once upon a time--got a bronwen webber class--

 

you sound nice & busy--i'll come help yah pull weeds or something on your farm 

You sound like a piece of work...my kind of people..............I'm only in Tn 8 yrs...original born & raised Philadelphia, PA Philly girl.......Philly to Jacksonville Florida to TN...........retired trauma nurse......doing cakes since I was 14.....your a teacher?  what do you teach?  Bronwen Weber is my ultimate favorite...her work is amazing......what I would have given to study under her......weed pulling I leave to the weed whacker & heifer & sheep.......everything happens in Nashville TN...I think this State forgets that there's other people & cities out here as well.............

-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2014 , 1:41am
post #16 of 25

her class is amazing--you want for nothing--she's sucha cool person--actually my son was in her last pastry class at texas culinary academy before she left full time teaching and opened her bakery --but i teach a variety of safety classes-- 

 

we know we're not really forgotten by nashville because they haven't stopped taxing us --lol

howsweet Posted 7 May 2014 , 2:08am
post #17 of 25

Bronwen Weber opposed the Texas cottage food bill the first time around when it didn't pass. She warned about the undercharging and undercutting. At the time, I just thought she was a big meanie, but I learned later she was right. I now have quite a bit of respect for her. About 3 months into the cottage food law being legal in Texas, I had to lower my prices and within 12-18 months I saw storefront cakeries go out of business. Two of them within 5 miles of my house. I'm guessing it happened all over the city.

howsweet Posted 7 May 2014 , 2:15am
post #18 of 25

So to anyone reading this who thinks pricing isn't is a serious matter, think again. It was heartbreaking to see people who had their entire savings and livelihood destroyed because of people blithely going along in their happy bubbles all excited about making a $20 profit on a 10 hour cake.

 

And it turns out I can turn any thread into a pricing thread! :-D 

howsweet Posted 7 May 2014 , 2:17am
post #19 of 25

I mean I thought so, but I wasn't really sure until now ;)

MimiFix Posted 7 May 2014 , 2:25am
post #20 of 25

We had every confidence in you, howsweet  ;-D 

MBalaska Posted 7 May 2014 , 2:30am
post #21 of 25

yes but did you recognize the cutters????? he he

fondantslinger Posted 7 May 2014 , 1:11pm
post #22 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

her class is amazing--you want for nothing--she's sucha cool person--actually my son was in her last pastry class at texas culinary academy before she left full time teaching and opened her bakery --but i teach a variety of safety classes-- 

 

we know we're not really forgotten by nashville because they haven't stopped taxing us --lol

That last statement about taxing was right on !!  That cracked me up !

Your son bakes too?  My #1 son went to Phila culinary school before hitting the Navy.

What type of safety classes do you teach?  Regarding food safety?

-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2014 , 12:32pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fondantslinger 

 

That last statement about taxing was right on !!  That cracked me up !

Your son bakes too?  My #1 son went to Phila culinary school before hitting the Navy.

What type of safety classes do you teach?  Regarding food safety?

 

my son is/was a fine dining chef--the 70 hour weeks got to him--he's in finance now--so your son is culinarily trained too--very cool--i hope and i'm sure he's getting some great training in the navy--

 

my safety classes range from first aid, osha safety and into food safety--i let my first aid certification expire--those dummies are heavy and i just couldn't demo/pound on them very well anymore-- i'm just recently certified to teach food safety--and i have some baking classes booked too--i'm most excited about those--so, we'll see how it all goes-- 

there are no deadlines when you're retired so... :grin:

fondantslinger Posted 8 May 2014 , 6:43pm
post #24 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

 

my son is/was a fine dining chef--the 70 hour weeks got to him--he's in finance now--so your son is culinarily trained too--very cool--i hope and i'm sure he's getting some great training in the navy--

 

my safety classes range from first aid, osha safety and into food safety--i let my first aid certification expire--those dummies are heavy and i just couldn't demo/pound on them very well anymore-- i'm just recently certified to teach food safety--and i have some baking classes booked too--i'm most excited about those--so, we'll see how it all goes-- 

there are no deadlines when you're retired so... :grin:

My son dropped out of school before going to Europe for a final  & joined the Navy as his brother was already in right before Dessert Storm was starting up.......my #1 son was a Navy Seal, #2 son an Operations Specialist, #3 at the time was in college & #4 son was finishing up high school. 

what type of baking classes you line up?  I want to get some under my belt just to keep up with the times & just keep on refreshing & learning...

Yeah I use to think retirement meant laid back & 5 o'clock somewhere........I'm just as busy running now as I was when I did trauma..it's crazy.

-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2014 , 6:46pm
post #25 of 25
i've been asked to teach cheesecake, poundcake and this carmeliscious tea ring i make for the holidays--gonna toss in layer cake too--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%