How Long Will A Sponge Cake Last?

Decorating By twrightey Updated 6 May 2014 , 3:35pm by denetteb

twrightey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twrightey Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:59am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!

Having a bit of a panic - was asked to bake a 2 tier cake for a party yesterday. Cake was baked on Friday, torted and iced on Saturday, decorated Sunday for delivery yesterday (Monday). Usually try to tort, ice and decorate all the same day but this was a more complicated cake, for me anyway, so I gave myself an extra day. Had a text from my friend last night saying thanks for the cake, how perfect the decoration was, and that they weren't cutting it to eat till this Thursday, which is her daughter's actual birthday! By Thursday the cake will be almost a week old so now I'm stressing!! It's a plain sponge cake covered in fondant. How long will a sponge cake last once covered in fondant??

3 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 4

Don't stress, not your problem.  That said it certainly won't be as fresh as you provided for them, can they find room in a freezer to keep it fresher?

twrightey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twrightey Posted 6 May 2014 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply, denetteb! 

I know in theory not my problem but still annoyed I guess and worried that they will eat the cake, not at it's best and think that all my cakes are like that!!

It's quite a large 2 tier - doubt that they will have room for it in their freezer, I certainly wouldn't, but you're right, that is the best solution. Ah well… at least they were happy with the design :(

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 6 May 2014 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 4

Since it is a friend you could mention that you wished they had it delivered closer to when they would be eating it so it would be fresh and also say that it won't be as fresh since they are waiting so long to eat it.  At least then you have let them know and prepared them. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%