Getting Neat Slices From Wasc

Decorating By Norasmom Updated 5 May 2014 , 5:16pm by MBalaska

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 May 2014 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 5

I made a 4" WASC cake with strawberry cream filling.   It came out really pretty and it tasted great.  The issue is that when I cut it the slices weren't "clean,", they sort of crumbled/smashed up.  The cake was fully cooked, the first few slices looked fine but as I continued to slice it got a bit messy and crumbly.  I used a serrated knife, should I have used a sharp kitchen knife?  I know WASC is moist.  I just love pretty slices.  No one noticed but me, though.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2014 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 5

if the first slices were ok then maybe the accumulation of cake residue on the knife blade gained traction and pulled the rest of the slices apart--if so then the fix is to clean off the knife after every slice--pain in the butt--but that's the price of a pretty slice--i mean sometimes to the extent of having a tall glass or pitcher of hot water to dip the knife in and a towel to wipe it if necessary-- usually just a spatula to scrape it clean between slices

best slicing & dicing to you

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 May 2014 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks K8!  That's what I'll do next time.  I am not one to keep the knife clean so that makes sense!  It was my best and favorite cake yet, for my niece's First Communion.  I will post pictures when they come in.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2014 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 5

cool--love to see them

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 May 2014 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 5

MimiFix talked about cutting hundreds of slices of deserts in her book, all cleanly cut, what a pain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%